solid axle swap

jactoy4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So. After three weeks of finding parts to build a front axle this is what i came up with.

The housing is from a 78 ford. These are great axle housings because they are 1/2" wall tubing and have the weld on style radius arm mounts that can be cut off without damaging the axle tube. The cast on mounts cannot be cut off without making huge holes in the tube. The outer knuckles, spindles, backing plates, rotors and hubs are from a 70's 3/4 ton chevy pickup. (Unsure of the exact year.) These were chosen because they have the same size spindles (for the most part) as the dana 50 TTB crap i had under there.

I built the front spring hanger (what i do, or did, for a living) put the shackles in the rear instead of front of the spring and used rear springs from a mid 80's ford 3/4 ton pickup. I chose these because they were almost free and allowed me to at the same time move my front axle about 3" forward to correct any bumpsteer and keep draglink and tierod parallel.

Tierod is off of a chevy dana 44 with an 04 superduty draglink insert cut and welded in (which still needs to be gusseted as its a critical steering part) and the draglink is also off the pooperduty which bolts right onto the stock pitman arm. I dont know for sure yet if it needs further adjustment as i havent driven the truck yet. Ill also be making a panhard bar and costom shock mounts.

I will take pictures and give more info on whatever you guys wanna see after i get everything buttoned up tomorrow.

Enjoy.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
looks good. iv been thinking about putting a 3/4 ton d44 under my 2wd just because i havnt been able to find or afford a d60. I just worry about all the hauling plus diesel weight on it for me.

DragRag

Reaction score
So, I noticed a lot of people switch from the twin I beam D-50 Axle to straight axle D-60 or better. Is the twin I-Beam not suitable or what? I have a truck sitting in my driveway that has a D-50 under it for 327,000 and it still works. DO you need it for hard core 4x4ing or do I just have a locky D-50 in this truck? Just wondering why people do this switch at all. I was actually considering doing a two to four wheel drive swap using a D-50 stock set up on another truck I may get in the near future. Would I be wasting my time doing this becasue at this point the D-50 stuff is free to me since it is my parts truck.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
with the TTB set up for street use it should be fine. For off roading anything over 35" tires your going to want a solid axle. There is a reason they put a solid axle under the 350s though and now all the super dutys. Its a good set up. chevy is to busy trying to make a truck drive like a car

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
solid axles ride MUCH BETTER too. i really hope that 44 holds up! swapped the D44s outta my scout for full width D60 because i heard that the 6.9 eats 44 parts.... cookoo

-Jon

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
looks good but 78 is when they switched to the cast on C wedges, u have a 76-77 axle housing.

chevy 8 lug outers is a very common swap on these trucks, we did it to my friends 96 F-150 (79 dana 44 housing, chevy 8 lug knuckles, rotors, calipers, dodge 8 lug hubs and his old TTB lock outs).

jactoy4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good but 78 is when they switched to the cast on C wedges, u have a 76-77 axle housing.

chevy 8 lug outers is a very common swap on these trucks, we did it to my friends 96 F-150 (79 dana 44 housing, chevy 8 lug knuckles, rotors, calipers, dodge 8 lug hubs and his old TTB lock outs).

i have read and have been told early 78 was the last of the weld ons?

could be wrong. cookoo

i will definitely let yall know how it holds up. have to put new ujoints in the front driveline and see if she fits tomorrow. drove it all over today and was very impressed. only complaint is i have a bit of bump steer as will anything with between 8 and up inches of lift;Sweet

ill try to get better pictures for yall when its daylight again.

this is beside my buddies 04 6.0 PSD with 8" and 38 trxus

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Don't want to cause a stir, but anyone with questions about this that he can not answer about parts, check out fullsizebronco.com and go to the SAS forum. It is all covered over there.

I Love the way you spent less money and yours sits higher than a new one.

SWS

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
If you got to hydro assist steering that should help out with the bump steer.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope those are angled shims and not blocks under your front end, you should get that track bar in either way. It will cut down on the bump steer w it in too

jactoy4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope those are angled shims and not blocks under your front end, you should get that track bar in either way. It will cut down on the bump steer w it in too

those are neither. they are "skys" spring mounts. track bar will go in tomorrow sometime. didnt get a chance to today.

and it is pretty funny that i spent 400 bucks to lift AND straight axle my idi 8" but my buddies and their trucks cost close to 2 grand just to LIFT them.;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online