So what did you do with your truck today?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
It started!

I started it! The 1997 Red PSD. -29 C over night -20 when trying to start it. Plugged block heater in for 3 hours. Used lots of ether (I broke the GP relay. Doh!). Had boost from the old man's truck (1999 F-250). Put a heat gun on the turbo compressor outlet. That finally did it. Phew! Just managed to escape the North country. This PSD does not like to be cold. I can't blame it. The batteries aren't great, and neither is the starter. The cable could stand to be replaced too. The 15W-40 oil probably doesn't help. It's a tired old engine, but it runs good when its running.

Pit stop pic.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pianoman

Reaction score
New Fuel System

IDIoit gave me access to his driveway, tools, brain, and his wrenching and fab skills to put a new fuel system in my piano truck this past week. I got to be the greasy "young grasshopper" with wrenches in my hands, rust in my eyes and diesel and a big smile on my face. This s*&^ is way too much fun!
1.Fuel tank (38gal)
2.Sender
3.Mostly new fuel lines (kept the nylon over the rear tank)
4.Carter electric lift pump (delete stock pump and install cover plate)
5.Racor 500 water seperator/fuel filter (will post pics of this later)
6.Baby Moose
7.BB injectors from Accurate Diesel (along with new valve cover gaskets)

With the Carter installed, bleeding and priming was a 10 minute job. The turbo hat was on there to make an emergency shutdown easier in case of runaway. We had no issues. Truck is still at IDIoit's place, pending one more day to time the pump, install the pyrometer and ?? whatever it is we forgot. He reports two more cold starts with no issues. No air intrusion!! No leaks!!

Plans for soon:
1. Repair pickup tube on front sender, tee into return line on rear tank with another Carter and a check valve. Presto! Auxiliary tank. Total fuel capacity 57 gallons. Stock fuel switch valve is still installed, it will function to switch the fuel gauge only. A toggle switch will control the transfer pump. Hopefully I'll get nearly an 800 mile range (57gal x 14mpg?) and that should considerably improve my cross country time between CA and OH. I can cut a whole bunch of fuel stops compared to the previous scenario of about 20 gallons usable with both pickup tubes broken off and 10mpg with 4 leaky injectors....
2. Have my 3.08 ring and pinion installed. Since this truck is a pavement queen, I need that taller 4th gear!

I got to learn a ton from IDIoit. He's killer with anything mechanical, and very generous with his knowledge. Thanks a ton Brian! It's super fun to see his truck projects in person too, very inspiring. Now I want to start building my family adventure rig; Turbo 7.3 crew cab long bed 4x4 5 speed with a smallish cabover, extra spares of everything I can carry, and a pair of ipads for the kiddoze. Hell, how about HID headlights while I'm dreaming, so I can drive all night while the family sleeps. I wanna take them to Death Valley, Mendocino, Tuolumne, Moab, you name it. Let's go everywhere, man.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
650 mi Saturday.

And finally put my fuel filter wrap on.
Gets pretty hot, but not as much as I thought it was going to. Tomorrow morning will be the test, almost gelled this morning.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDIoit gave me access to his driveway, tools, brain, and his wrenching and fab skills to put a new fuel system in my piano truck this past week.

I wanna take them to Death Valley, Mendocino, Tuolumne, Moab, you name it. Let's go everywhere, man.

cool!
and don't forget Sequoia National Park and the general sherman tree trail.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Was -10 this morning and didnt act like it was going to gel. Considering that I had problems Sunday at -8, Id call that a success and say the heater wrap works.
Its 8* right now, so quite a bit warmer, but Im going to drive it home without the heater and see how it acts.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was -10 this morning and didnt act like it was going to gel. Considering that I had problems Sunday at -8, Id call that a success and say the heater wrap works.
Its 8* right now, so quite a bit warmer, but Im going to drive it home without the heater and see how it acts.

fuel gelling isn't so common these days as they refine the fuel to be more like k1 than diesel in the cold temps.
you can still run into trouble when fueling up in the south and headed north into colder climates with large fuel tanks or when you get some water in the fuel.for the most part if you fuel up and drive around your area,the odds are that fuel wont gel.this is part of the reason for the lower fuel economy we get in the winter.
this is why many of us simply plug off and disconnect our fuel filter heating elements as they really are no longer needed.

it's still a good idea to carry a bottle of that red jug "diesel 911" on the back of the truck though.that stuff works quick and will cure the rare fuel gelling problem you might face.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Stock fuel heater is disconnected.
It almost died (started surging, low fuel symptoms) on me Sunday, had to dump 911 in it. Almost died again yesterday morning but I made it to work. I have a second fuel filter (fs1212) and suspected that is the one that was plugging. Already had the filter wrap for a year so finally put it on, wrapped around the 1212.
It's local fuel but Iowa is said to have some of the worst diesel in the country, and I'm sure getting to -15 overnight doesn't help.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Swapped the manual choke on my 460 truck for an electric choke and got it reasonably well adjusted. Cable was a cheapy coiled metal sheath around a tiny inner cable and just mangled itself after sitting for months. Did not like starting in the teens with no choke so getting out and working it manually got old real fast. Hopefully my o-rings come soon so I can get the IDI sorted. If anyone knows of a good quality choke cable I'm all ears, I dislike fancy new luxurious electronics.

Also noticed a funky thing when braking. The last MPH or few to a stop I hear a clunk and feels like something shifts in the rear brakes. Pedal moves down slightly when this happens. Maybe broke a spring on a shoe? It's a Sterling and was all redone maybe 6 years ago but has got only maybe 1000 miles in the past 2-3 years. Really gotta drive this truck more often and keep up on it... But it's just so darn reliable it can sit for 6 mos and fires right up, just plain works every time but some of the lack of use is starting to show.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
put some 285's on my truck today.now to figure out why when it's cold it acts like its low on fuel or something it won't run right for over an hour so it'll run away with itself like I can be at 1/4 throttle and all of a sudden it just starts dumpin smoke and before you know it it'll be at 80+if I don't let all the way off of it.i don't see any fuel leaks imma check it out tommorrw

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Runningaford

Reaction score
Changed all eight glow plugs with new Beru zd9's. The old ones were zd9's, but one was bad, and all tips were somewhat 'eroded'. The entire glowplug system quit, and figured I'd start with the plugs; now it's off to research troubleshooting threads. Right now, there's no WTS, and no clicking of any sort. I've got 12.48v at the battery terminal of the relay, and the ground had continuity to the negative of the battery...

When I install my turbo, will I have to move the gp relay/controller, or can they stay put? I've read others that have left them in place, and just put in heat shielding; does that work long term?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online