so i got my 1 ton axles today...

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
needs a bit more work than i thought. rear end is a ford 10.25" with ls i think, not sure cause i cant translate the tag on the diff cover but i know its got 4.10s, and the front looks like a d50 or something. didnt know the front came with the entire hub assembly dis-assembled, needs a new diff seal, rust on the brake rotors and only 1/2 a drum on the rear. :rolleyes: and i get more and more scared every time i drive the truck with a bad wheel bearing. gets worse every day to the point where i wonder if ill make it home after work :eek:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tag says 4L10 then you got a limited slip rear axle. As for the front, why are you going with a D50 TTB - it's an upgrade over your D44 but still it's no D60, is it worth all the effort to change it out?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Rust on rotors may not be anything. THey are bare metal anf if not being used will rust quickly, that is normal. A few brake applications will scrub that off, so I wouldn't worry about it.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tag says 4L10 then you got a limited slip rear axle. As for the front, why are you going with a D50 TTB - it's an upgrade over your D44 but still it's no D60, is it worth all the effort to change it out?

i was told the axles only had around 60k miles on them before they were pulled, and as is my current front end gears are blown. so anything would be better than what i have now, plus these axles were 300 bucks, basically how much it would cost just to rebuild my front end, so i figured i may as well do a 1 ton swap for that price.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in his situation, he has to change out what he has or he's seriously ******.
d44 and d50 have only one thing compatible..... the wheels.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I guess that is stepping in the right direction, swaping out a broke 44 for a working 50 but by much

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
needs a bit more work than i thought. rear end is a ford 10.25" with ls i think, not sure cause i cant translate the tag on the diff cover but i know its got 4.10s, and the front looks like a d50 or something. didnt know the front came with the entire hub assembly dis-assembled, needs a new diff seal, rust on the brake rotors and only 1/2 a drum on the rear. :rolleyes: and i get more and more scared every time i drive the truck with a bad wheel bearing. gets worse every day to the point where i wonder if ill make it home after work :eek:

So did you get one tons? or 3/4 tons (TTB)?

the drum rear tels me OBS, but the Stupidduties had a SFA 50

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was told the axles only had around 60k miles on them before they were pulled, and as is my current front end gears are blown. so anything would be better than what i have now, plus these axles were 300 bucks, basically how much it would cost just to rebuild my front end, so i figured i may as well do a 1 ton swap for that price.

and

in his situation, he has to change out what he has or he's seriously ******.
d44 and d50 have only one thing compatible..... the wheels.

Understood, makes perfect sense to me. As Rob said if the rotors ain't pitted with rust they should be good, that surface stuff wipes right off withing the first several miles of driving (do expect somewhat poor braking till they clean up tho). IIRC the Ford locking hubs on these trucks are all similar in design, so by taking your D44 hubs apart and understanding how they work you will have no problem figuring out the D50 ones ;Sweet When you say it needs a new differential seal, is that the seal between the beam and the pumpkin? Do yourself a favor and replace that before you stick the parts in the truck, it's so much easier, also while you're at it inspect the seals for the axle shafts and replace them too if needed, it will save you lots of hassle down the road. Too bad you need new rear drums tho, as those ain't cheap...

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and

Understood, makes perfect sense to me. As Rob said if the rotors ain't pitted with rust they should be good, that surface stuff wipes right off withing the first several miles of driving (do expect somewhat poor braking till they clean up tho). IIRC the Ford locking hubs on these trucks are all similar in design, so by taking your D44 hubs apart and understanding how they work you will have no problem figuring out the D50 ones ;Sweet When you say it needs a new differential seal, is that the seal between the beam and the pumpkin? Do yourself a favor and replace that before you stick the parts in the truck, it's so much easier, also while you're at it inspect the seals for the axle shafts and replace them too if needed, it will save you lots of hassle down the road. Too bad you need new rear drums tho, as those ain't cheap...

yeah, the beam and pumpkin.