So How do I get my hands on a pair of these?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I looking for a couple of Jerry Cans like the one pictured, It is plastic, 20 litre, or 5 gallons, olive drab with a yellow strap to show that it is for Diesel.

The problem is that about a month ago they passed a law that these cans are for military use only, and the ones that I have found will only sell them to a government PO.

The do sell in Canada, and I have a couple of e-mails out to see if I can get some shipped in at a reasonable price, still waiting.

Any sugestions,..?

Attachments

• jerry can.jpg
    jerry can.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 17

sassyrel

Reaction score
adrianspeeder--on this forum--is in the air force??? maybe he can get them for ya--------

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I looking for a couple of Jerry Cans like the one pictured, It is plastic, 20 litre, or 5 gallons, olive drab with a yellow strap to show that it is for Diesel.

The problem is that about a month ago they passed a law that these cans are for military use only, and the ones that I have found will only sell them to a government PO.

Hey Darrin, gotta start yard salin'. Archie found a brand new steel one for 10 bucks and it was full of kerosene to boot.;Sweet

I'll kep my eyes peeled for em down here.

obinella

Reaction score
why are they military only? do they cost $11,ooo.oo ea.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why are they military only? do they cost $11,ooo.oo ea.

Dunno why military only.

Here in Canada I can get em for about 50 bucks each...there are 3 basic types,

Diesel
Petrol
Water

http://www.sceptermilitary.com/

Perhaps, they would cut some deals on a bulk purchase .....

I myself was thinking about 4 diesel cans 2 petrol and 2 water...it is just so darn cost prohibitive.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
darrin-
I've found that all my "special" jerry cans have a tendency to grow legs.-cuss
I used to bring them back from TX to CA and they be gone in under 6 months.
I now resupply with the CARB compliant ones that are shaped like the jerry can in the pic but I use a rattle siphon to transfer the fuel.
here's the link... I usually will buy a couple extras siphons when I stop in at a Flying J.
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=29392&affiliateid=10050

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Why plastic and olive colored? I found a yellow steel jerry can that is available to the non-carb states (NOT: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington DC) HERE..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why plastic and olive colored?

Well for the military I can think of two reasons.....

Yellow = bright target...

Plastic = no clanging when handling thus giving up position....(read target)

JM2CW

and a third for chits n giggles.....plastic don't spark for petrol or diesel

Me wantem plastic...

lilduke

InternationalRed'nk
Reaction score
Plastic, because it doesn't rust. It doesn't reflect light. It doesn't need to be painted. And it's cheaper. Oh and F u ca for your carb *****... But I can still buy 5gal jerry cans in red at my local hardware store. It just has a screw(carb) on fill neck with the "vapor lock" top...

F'in tree humpers are worried about what lil vapor evaps from a can when filling your mower. But the mowers themselves have become disposable, and just think of all that polution now.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Why plastic and olive colored? I found a yellow steel jerry can that is available to the non-carb states (NOT: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington DC) HERE..

As far as plastic, basicaly what they said, plus it is lighter than steel when and makes it easer to dump the WMO into the tank that they will be carrying.

As far as the Color, I just like the Olive Drab, but I could be talked into Yellow but would preferr plastic.

Here is where they are going to sit,..What do you all think, What would look better?

Olive Drab,
Yellow,
Red (even though it wont be gasoline
Stainless Steel, (little expensive at $140.00 or so each)

Attachments

• IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 14

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Well for the military I can think of two reasons.....

Yellow = bright target...

Plastic = no clanging when handling thus giving up position....(read target)

JM2CW

and a third for chits n giggles.....plastic don't spark for petrol or diesel

Me wantem plastic...

plastic can carry static!:eek: but with diesel who cares?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
darrin-
I've found that all my "special" jerry cans have a tendency to grow legs.
I used to bring them back from TX to CA and they be gone in under 6 months.
I now resupply with the CARB compliant ones that are shaped like the jerry can in the pic but I use a rattle siphon to transfer the fuel.
here's the link... I usually will buy a couple extras siphons when I stop in at a Flying J.
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/show...iliateid=10050

The siphon is a good idea, I will look into them.

I talked with Mike who builds the bumpers and he told me that Master Lock has a real nice adjustable locking cable called the Python, I will be getting one of these to make shure they don't walk away and will be held in tight.

Dunno why military only.

Here in Canada I can get em for about 50 bucks each...there are 3 basic types,

Diesel
Petrol
Water

http://www.sceptermilitary.com/

Perhaps, they would cut some deals on a bulk purchase .....

I myself was thinking about 4 diesel cans 2 petrol and 2 water...it is just so darn cost prohibitive.

Hey if you want to pick up a couple for me and ship them to me, I would be interested, let me know what it would cost to make it worth your while if you are interested, ;Sweet

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, I am doing more digging,...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In theory, the plastic sounds good; but, in practice, the plastic is not so good.

Plastic of any kind that is constantly exposed to sunlight will soon become brittle and develop cracks/leaks.

Long ago, I gave up on plastic fuel-jugs for all the various engines around the place, i.e. chainsaws, weedeaters, lawn-mowers, saw-mill, generator, tractors, trucks, etc.

I hunted up all my old antique metal cans, cleaned them up, and started using them again and no more expensive fuel pouring onto the ground from sun-cracked plastic jugs.

I found some NATO "jerry" cans at Sportsman's Guide, along with NATO spouts that work wonderfully for long-term fuel storage.

I like to keep fifty-sixty gallons of diesel, twenty or so gallons of gas, and maybe ten gallons of kerosene on hand for hard times and rotate my supply occassionally.

Here are the cans/spouts I have :

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=201701

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08