So 205 degrees is bad for my E4OD?

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, after installing a new (used) IDI in my truck, I took it on a 500 mile road trip and the one thing that really concerned me was my new ISSPRO tranny temp gauge running at 205. Here's the skinny, and then you all can tell me what you think.

First, the temp climbed steadily (and what I would consider normally) on the beginning of both the drive to and the drive back; it just kept climbing when I would have liked it to stop. My speeds were high 60's never over 72-73. I could keep it at around 200 if I stayed at 65. The truck already had one tranny cooler on it, but concerns for keeping my E4OD alive, I installed a second one as well as a tranny filter just to be sure. The lines run from the tranny to the filter, from the filter to the new cooler, then the old cooler, then back to the tranny. Upon arrival at my destination, and being concerned, I also tied in the cooler in the radiator, so it went from the filter to the radiator, to the cooler, to the other cooler, back to the tranny; there was absolutely no difference on the drive back from doing this.
The sending unit is in the driver's side of the tranny. This was new to me, on my Bronco, I but it inline on the supply line out of the tranny and never had any problems (though that is an autometer gauge).
Also, on my trip back, with the gauge at 205, I took a pit stop and immediately hopped out of the truck, popped the hood, and pulled the dip stick and I was able to keep my fingers on the tip of the stick where the fluid was, which leads me to believe I'm not getting an accurate reading (that and that I had heard an E4OD would not last that long at 205). And no, the tranny is not slipping at all and the fluid did not seem brown or smell burnt, but I'm no expert on the smell and look thing, just my opinion.
So, my question is, has anyone ran into this before? I wish I could say the new turbo piping could be causing a heat soak problem, but I actually did a good job of heatwrapping both the sending unit where it goes into the tranny as well as the up-pipe near it. Obviously, I know I can move the sending unit, and/or get a infrared heat tester thingy and see what it says, but I wanted to get everyones take on it.

MoMo

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my guage on a T where the fluid leaves the tranny, I think the same as you. Mine runs around 190-200 when it settles in on the highway, depending a bit on outside temperature and whatever. At first it worried me, but I found some info somewhere indicating this was basically normal if you are measuring there. It seems fine so far, I have a big cooler on there and a fan for slow running.
JwS

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear. Actually, mine is on the driver's side, in some port I found either in the instructions for the gauges or online somewhere. I plan on moving it to where you have it, Ting it where the fluid comes out of the tranny.

Thanks for your input! Anyone else?

MoMo

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I am no expert on the e4od...I hate ford automatics :)

that being said, from what I remember reasearching it where you are taking the measurment 200~210 sounds right.

the way you checked it is exactly correct...if it was burnt you would know...it wouldnt smell like hydraulic fluid, it would smell hot and burnt....as far as looks, it would go from red (good) to red-brownish (not so good-fluid has overheated at least once before) to dark brown/black (that aint tranny fluid no more).

The other telling thing is you could keep your fingers on the tip of the dipstick....it resides in the heat of it, and it was not enough to burn you....

I think you are fine...its just that now you are a little more concious of whats happening under the hood.

I freaking love the t-top bronco

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting....your setup is exactly the same as mine now that you are using the rad cooler too. My temps never exceed 185 now since I added the extra coolers and filter. The only difference possibly is that when I bought the extra tranny cooler I bought the biggest one that they had in the store. I think it was for a motorhome or something...anyway I would also think you are fine especially like I said it's the same setup I have. Maybe your gauge is a little off. These tranny's aren't really as bad as some say as long as you keep them cool and clean...it's like anything as long as you take care of it, it will take care of you.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought about adding another sender on the return side of the cooler so I can see what the temperature drop is, and I might do it next summer. I also have thought about putting the radiator cooler back in line too.
JwS

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so just wonderin whats the max temp for a e4od

Well I doubt we can get anyone to actually test this so we can have a definate answer...LOL...so I can only speak from my own experience. A few years ago I maxed out my tranny temp gauge (yah I was an idiot)..anyway it maxes at 250 and it forced me to stop shortly after maxing it out. Travis used to say he could run 240 - 245 and when it reached 245 he would give her a break...let things cool down a bit. I know before I did all my coolers I would run up to 220 alot pulling (not happily) but not for real long distances.
So anyway I would think anything in the 250 and northward would be asking for trouble. :puke: Oh yah that is exactly what my tranny did when I overheated her...:puke::puke:puked everywhere!! LOLLOL

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
that is the same place my buddy has his temp gauge per autometers instructions and I know he don't run anywhere near 200 closer to 150

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All really good info. I found a good flow test to try. The only other thing I can think of is that I did bend and possibly pinch the metal lines installing the motor, so I'll check those and see if the flow is being restricted.

MoMo

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had simular problem. The shop by-passed the trans and problem was solved. I ran large cooler in front and no more problem when pulling my 32' 5th wheel.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you change that tranny fluid over to synthetic, you could quit worrying about the thing.That along with the dual cooler setup, you'd have overkill in the protection department. If the temp is concerning you, its winter so your fan isn't going to be kicking on much An alternative to aid in tranny cooling would be to add an electric pusher fan in front of one of the add on tranny coolers, preferably the last in the chain and then rig it to come on with a thermostatic control so when the tranny fluid starts heating up the fan will kick on and bring the temp back down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle