Smoke Puff Limiter

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I just finished ordering one of the hypermax smoke piff limiters after talking with Hypermax for an hour about it over the phone. I have high hopes and will let everyone know how it goes!;Sweet

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
Why would you want this anyway? It does nothing for the truck but keep it from smoking. Wouldn't it hinder the performance of the engine?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
No, it references the fuel to boost, running rich hurts performance and efficiency, if you look at the gale banks record holding quarter mile diesel, he does it all with NO SMOKE.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Me too, he was really surprised to see interest in it, not many people buy them because people don't often see them as the performance piece they are.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any highlights from your conversation with him? I assume you got more than just the basic product description after an hour. Is it an in stock item or a made to order deal?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If I had the cash, Id have one in a heartbeat. all my bosch pump equipped euro diesel cars have those critters stock, and they work great I always wondered why stanadyne didnt add one, and I spoke with the guy at Hypermax and he had come to the same conclusion... except he DID something about it :)

The thing senses how much boost you have and prevents too much fuel until you have enough air to burn it, so you dont bog down ( if you stomp more fuel than you can burn, it actually SLOWS DOWN your acceleration ), instead you get steady acceleration, nice and clean with just a slight puff when you floor it , but no smokescreen
Ive had a number of cars with these things and properly tuned, they flat boogie

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
They are made to order due to the LOW demand. After speaking to him, I expect a MPG increase, and a power increase. This only happens with very few mods that do both, and I believe this is one of them. It works the same as a bosch pump, it is fully adjustable for those of you that want to run safe numbers til necessary, and is entirely boost referenced. This seems completely necessary, and neglected in the diesel world, you can't burn any fuel without supporting air. You see gassers running fuel/air gauges and driving accordingly, well this does that for you. I wish I had access to a dyno and wasn't fixing to start 12 hr shifts at work, I'd dyno tune it and post my numbers.
It replaces the upper part of the IP, and you run a boost line to it, then I suppose it's drive-adjust-drive-adjust for each individual, but it's probably close to some sort of standard.

Remember, Gale Banks holds the quarter mile diesel record with NO SMOKE.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
They are made to order due to the LOW demand. After speaking to him, I expect a MPG increase, and a power increase. This only happens with very few mods that do both, and I believe this is one of them. It works the same as a bosch pump, it is fully adjustable for those of you that want to run safe numbers til necessary, and is entirely boost referenced. This seems completely necessary, and neglected in the diesel world, you can't burn any fuel without supporting air. You see gassers running fuel/air gauges and driving accordingly, well this does that for you. I wish I had access to a dyno and wasn't fixing to start 12 hr shifts at work, I'd dyno tune it and post my numbers.
It replaces the upper part of the IP, and you run a boost line to it, then I suppose it's drive-adjust-drive-adjust for each individual, but it's probably close to some sort of standard.

Remember, Gale Banks holds the quarter mile diesel record with NO SMOKE.

After having tuned more of these things than I can count, I can tell you how, you dont need a dyno ( and it probably wouldnt help ). You just adjust the diaphram screw on it ( there will be a screw and locknut going down teh center of it adjusting the tension ) till when you go to get on the interstate and tromp on it, in your normal power range, you just get a light puff right as you tromp it that clears right up as you pull out and watch the boost climb . With a slushbox it is actually easier than a manual as yours will want to keep wound up in its power range as it gets up on the road . if it is clear when you first tromp it, you are too lean, and if yo are still churning smoke then its too rich, simple as that. After a handful of runs and a few hood pops, you will have it set.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
After having tuned more of these things than I can count, I can tell you how, you dont need a dyno ( and it probably wouldnt help ). You just adjust the diaphram screw on it ( there will be a screw and locknut going down teh center of it adjusting the tension ) till when you go to get on the interstate and tromp on it, in your normal power range, you just get a light puff right as you tromp it that clears right up as you pull out and watch the boost climb . With a slushbox it is actually easier than a manual as yours will want to keep wound up in its power range as it gets up on the road . if it is clear when you first tromp it, you are too lean, and if yo are still churning smoke then its too rich, simple as that. After a handful of runs and a few hood pops, you will have it set.
That's good news, I will likely start it lean then creep to the 'puff-point'.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite impressive. Just watched Gale Banks 1/4 mile run video and wow, no smoke is right. Just a puff right before launch. Not what we generally see from trucks burning down the track.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Quite impressive. Just watched Gale Banks 1/4 mile run video and wow, no smoke is right. Just a puff right before launch. Not what we generally see from trucks burning down the track.

It kind of sheds light to what mainstream make's people believe, I hope one day the 'black smoke=power' mindset falls obsolete, but people are already set in their ways I guess.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have a smoke issue with your banks? man,i have nothing at all out back.not even before my recent intercooler i mean.
i had factory,banks recommended 9.5 lbs under hard load too.

.......hold the phone.i see i missed the ip in your sig.
well ok,i don't have a hot pump.not even a turbo calibrated one yet........and probably not close to maxed either at that lol.
you do understand trying to boost above 9.5-10 psi with the banks/ats kits is just taking these little turbos outside their efficiency zone right? you start making so much heat,that the extra power just cost too much.fun sure,but not worth taxing the little buggers.

Last edited:

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
My pump isn't actually from DPS, it's from the guy that was doing the pumps for Ken while Ken claimed to be doing the work. I made the order through DPS, never heard back from him, then found out he got 'boycotted' by his own pump guy, whom had my pump and luckily was honest enough to find my information, Ken got <0 money from me in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle