Smoke But No Fire

rmckee242

Reaction score
1997 F350 five speed manual 275,000 on clock. Had made several short trips in the truck started it up to go home ran for about a minute and shut down. Loaded it on the trailer and hauled it home. No blown fuses. Good flow of fuel into the bowl new filter still nothing. I have a superchips tuner that I use to pull codes and the only one showing up is the EBP that always shows up. On the off chance that I might have a bad IDM I pulled mine and put it in my wife's 96 and it fired and ran fine. When trying to crank the truck I am getting smoke out the rear so I assume it is getting fuel. When my fuel pump went out last year I got no smoke. Do I need a better scanner? Any suggestions on what to check next greatly appreciated. This is the first break down that has stumped me.

rmckee242

Reaction score
Not the starter. Put a new one in about two months ago. A real starter from my local rebuild shop not one from some of the cheapo chain stores. I think the tach is moving. Honestly the truck broke down about three weeks ago and I'm just now getting around to looking at it. Think I checked that first but I'll look at it again. Last time I had a CPS go out it threw the code for it. Looked at the UVCH plugs yesterday nothing obvious but I didn't put my hands on them either. I'll get back when I check those two out.

rmckee242

Reaction score
Nah the superchipper just pulls the codes. I'm on night shift so if I get up in time today (Tue) I'll double check and make sure whether I have any movement on the tach when I sling it over.

rmckee242

Reaction score
Slung it over a few times this afternoon. Turning plenty fast enough to fire. The tach isn't steady when spinning it and jumps at times, which makes me think the CPS may be flakey. If this is the case could it be bad and not throw a code?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Slung it over a few times this afternoon. Turning plenty fast enough to fire. The tach isn't steady when spinning it and jumps at times, which makes me think the CPS may be flakey. If this is the case could it be bad and not throw a code?

Symptoms of a bad CPS.

The CPS can totally fail and not set a code. Sometimes they set codes sometimes they don't.:eek:

rmckee242

Reaction score
Put a new CPS in today still no fire. Think it maybe the fuel pump now. Just for fun I opened the filter base and the fuel was down in it. Cranked it over a few time to fill it up. Put the cover back on and tried to start thew truck. Tried to fire a few times but still no money. Opened the base and fuel down again. So now what I think is the pump works until it is in a situation where it has resistance. That would explain no code also. Does anyone agree. Is there a retrofit electric pump out there besides the entire electric fuel management system.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Have you tried to check fuel pressure at the shrader valve? There is NO RETROFIT electric. You would either need to make a electric fuel system, or buy one