Smoke after turbo install

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You're right. I said the wrong name. I apologize for that mistake. As far as the DTI timing light goes, yes it has advance and retard buttons, but they're on the handle. That way you can use only one hand. I thought that I had a picture of it, but I couldn't find it. You can pull the trigger for the light with your index finger and use another finger to work the buttons at the same time. I can take a picture of it, but it will have to wait for the weekend. I think it's worth it, but it is stupid expensive compared to other timing lights. I think it cost me almost $100 for the light and shipping. You may be able to find it cheaper on Ebay or Amazon, but I ordered mine right from DTI.

Steven Sochalski

Reaction score
I had issues with my magnetic pickup not reading on my tech time unit. There was some gunk in the tube on the dampener. I used brake kleen and a 5/16 drill bit. Put the bit into the tube and turn by hand.

I also marked my magnetic pickup depth from the outside of the tube. It was stopping about a quarter inch from bottoming. I was told to stick a business card between the dampener and the pickup tube. Push the magnetic probe until it hits the card, then remove the card.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case the tube wouldn't fit the probe so I had to drill it out, in doing so the tube became extremely wobbly. A spot weld helped, seems probe has to sit at a sweet spot for it to read correctly, no matter of business card tricks seems to help, have to get it set by hand and leave it. Ordered a timing light to see if it differs much from the probe just to be sure. Fiddling with timing is helping, but I cannot get it exact. Still seems to be smoking excessively, however I haven't simply just driven the **** out of it, need to fix a couple last few things before doing so.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
You're right. I said the wrong name. I apologize for that mistake. As far as the DTI timing light goes, yes it has advance and retard buttons, but they're on the handle. That way you can use only one hand. I thought that I had a picture of it, but I couldn't find it. You can pull the trigger for the light with your index finger and use another finger to work the buttons at the same time. I can take a picture of it, but it will have to wait for the weekend. I think it's worth it, but it is stupid expensive compared to other timing lights. I think it cost me almost $100 for the light and shipping. You may be able to find it cheaper on Ebay or Amazon, but I ordered mine right from DTI.
That is awesome, I bought a Tech Time for back up, it did not include the light. Have yet to use it. But that light from DTI sounds pretty trick. I believe the Tach n Time version is just a basic light with no handle or buttons.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
In my case the tube wouldn't fit the probe so I had to drill it out, in doing so the tube became extremely wobbly. A spot weld helped, seems probe has to sit at a sweet spot for it to read correctly, no matter of business card tricks seems to help, have to get it set by hand and leave it. Ordered a timing light to see if it differs much from the probe just to be sure. Fiddling with timing is helping, but I cannot get it exact. Still seems to be smoking excessively, however I haven't simply just driven the **** out of it, need to fix a couple last few things before doing so.
It is hard to diagnose fuel/smoke issues if you can’t verify the timing is on. I was able to get my Tach n Time probe in the timing hole, used the business card trick, but it was not reading. Will revisit at some point.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
These issues with the mag probes are a majority of why I decided to go with a timing light. The mag probes seem to work well once you get them set, it's just the setting them up to work that seems to be a bear.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can't believe that I actually remembered this, but I did take some pictures of the DTI timing light for Big Bart and anyone else who may be interested. On one side, it looks normal. On the other side, you can see the advance and retard buttons. In the third picture, I'm trying to show how to use this light with one hand. Index finger on the trigger, middle finger on one button, ring finger on the other button. It's truly a one hand operation to run this light and "move" the mark on the balancer. If you put a turnbuckle on the throttle part of the IP, then it's a one hand operation to check the timing. You still need both hands to move the IP, but the checking itself doesn't. THIS is why I felt that it was worth it to buy this expensive light.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    636.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics