Smogging comedy

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Those of you who also have to do the smogging farce with your truck, what do you get?

My truck last year with bad return lines sucking more air then a diver nearly failed at close to 29%. (30% is the fail zone) This year I replaced all of them and ran some cleaners like Howes meaner kleaner through it. 5.2% this time, nothing else to the original injection system.

Non smoggers also (envy you!) If you've tossed your truck on the rollers and measured, I'm curious of your results!

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Here we test exhaust opacity on a mustang dyno. Bring it to 40 and hold. Higher then 30% (depends on year) it fails.

Waste of money like all smogging. But shows a insight into the engine, in my case the near failure last year of 29% vs 5.2% this year

Edit: if you want a bureaucratic lobotomy, here's all the info: http://www.dmvnv.com/emission_diesel.htm

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some states do a snap test, here in Vegas we drive our truck onto a dyno and accelerate up to 40 mph. They stick a sniffer in the pipe that measures the amount of exhaust.

I went to a place last year that let me accelerate the truck myself, so I was able to bring the rpm up gradually with no smoke. The time before that, the guy at the smog shop did it and floored the hell out of it and it almost failed.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Some states do a snap test, here in Vegas we drive our truck onto a dyno and accelerate up to 40 mph. They stick a sniffer in the pipe that measures the amount of exhaust.

I went to a place last year that let me accelerate the truck myself, so I was able to bring the rpm up gradually with no smoke. The time before that, the guy at the smog shop did it and floored the hell out of it and it almost failed.

I go to the place on cheyenne near ccsn. $40 out the door. Lady is nice also. If I swung that way, I'd date her... She seems fairly knowledgeable about diesels! You can sit in the truck and bring it up yourself, she guides you onto the rollers and centers it so the whole back end doesn't fish tail into the curb/poles

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

we have cable throttles. that is an easy fix. put a straw in the red plastic area of the throttle cable limiting the full travel of the pedal :D

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with smog checks. I agree though, they are a complete joke. I don't know what it's supposed to be accomplishing really.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its supposed to clean up the air we have to breath but all it really does is creates jobs in the gov. and people get rich off that. When the first smog test stations came into being here in cali back in 1974 or so they were called Hamilton Test Stations. You were required to be tested so said the governor at the time.. His family owned the Hamilton Test Stations. Talk about corrupt...

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Until around 2000 here, you got two things with the smog test:

Pass or don't pay
A print out showing your results (i can show proof if anyone doubts)

You get neither anymore. The smog cartel, i mean lobby whined to the state and got it "optional" to offer pass or don't pay, and the reading option vanished.

IE:

Your vehicle: 200 ppm, allowed limit: 1000 ppm.

No longer (gas or diesel) is that option shown. Just pass/fail

For those who doubt it also, I watched my fathers 68 barracuda fail a smog test miserably. Took it back home, turned down all the settings to "runs like broken down garbage and kills birds flying over head from the exhaust" and it passed with flying colors!

Pulled it out, retuned it back up and all the power came back and very little exhaust haze... cookoo

Smogging makes no sense...

Last edited:

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
In Washington we have use the snap test. just push the skinny pedal down slower. ;)

do you remember your results? on the dyno here, it has a small lcd screen you can see the percentage on. Even the horse power, but I don't chance it since the rollers are hooked up to a nanny state main frame up north

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Last year my first attempt netted a 60% opacity reading. This year all I had to do was remove my chip. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
In Ohio vehicles 25 years and older don't have to be tested. I did have to test my truck the first year I had it though as it was only 24 years old at the time. They check opacity of the exhaust on a dyno here as well.

I don't remember the exact reading but I was about 0.1 above what the new trucks were reading at the time. This was running a 40/60 mix of ATF and diesel fuel too.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
So far in California, the old diesels have avoided this test, thank goodness. That is really saying something for this place.