Slow start with warm motor

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Laitly I have been noticing this more and more.
Cold start, and the motor spins over good and fast, and it starts right up. Warm motor (drove for about 15 min mixed city/highway, stopped for fuel) and it turns over really slowly, gets about 4-5 revolutions and starts to slowly speed up, after a few more it catchs and we are off to the races.

I am going to clean all my electrical connections tomorrow, just wondering if there is anything else I should look at?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the starter may be starting to go south. But as you said check all connections first.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like heat is increasing the resistance of something somewhere.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Well, I spent the afternoon on it... Most of the battery side of things looked good (I did them all a few years back) but the starter and block sides looked ugly. I even ended up dropping the starter just to clean them all up right. We will see tomorrow after I get to work if it helped or not. It seemed to start up cold like normal.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully that will do the trick however while you had the starter out it might have been a good idea to have it tested.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I'd bet a dollar he's got an IH starter rather than a ford. That's what I have, and it uses a Chevy Solonoid.
Chevy solonoids and starters are known for that exact problem. It's called "heat soak".

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I was told that it's not a question of years, but a question of where you bought your starter from. In my case, the P.O. didn't like the price at the ford stealership, so he went to the IH dealer and bought one from them.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Ya, it was a mitsu. So far so good! I tried starting it after I got to work yesterday and it turned over at the right speed.

I am not sure that testing the starter on the bench would have done anything, I know it spins and starts it cold. Plus it would have been hard to get it to a place to test it. The truck is currently the onlything I have running on the road :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubburnjd1

Members online