Sloppy Steering

lilredtdi

Reaction score
If you are talking about the one on one of the front wheel 4wd knuckles, yes. If you are talking about the driveshaft frem the tranny to differentials............no.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Really a lot of things could cause it. Tie rods, steering gear box, the joint on the shaft, ball joints, etc.... pick your poison.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
The u-joint on the shaft yes, the u-joints for your axles no. Easiest way to find out is to get a buddy and have him move the steering left/right and find the slop, most likley tie rods, gear box or the rag joint on the shaft.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other overlooked cause of slop is the steering shaft itself. There is a plastic sleeve and a metal clip inside there that can all apart.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is true.. Mine let go and I had 3 inches of slop. I found the peoblem and got the repair parts, actually several of them at pick a parts... Funny how they fit in my pocket too...:angel: I paid my 2 bucks just to enter the yard so I paid well for them. Spare parts are good parts.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
One other overlooked cause of slop is the steering shaft itself. There is a plastic sleeve and a metal clip inside there that can all apart.

+1 same place mine currently gets its slop from, shaft is between the firewall and gearbox and is basiclly the collapsable part of the steering column so that your less likley to have a steering wheel go through your chest when you crash, that said the rag joint on the lower portion is also known to fail but the repair is most likley the same for both (only OBS? can replace the rag joint, the rest of us have to replace the whole shaft)

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only cheap fix is another OEM shaft wich almost is not worth the time if it fails again.

Javier

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Here's the spring clip that maintains snugness in the 83-91 steering shafts.

This piece can break and cause a serious amount of slop in the steering shaft but as suggested, ya need a buddy to be working the steering wheel to track down the source of the slop.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.