Slight shift flare E4OD

SLittle

Reaction score
1991 F350. 7.3 n/a with E4OD.

Previous owner stated the transmission was rebuilt. No way to confirm.

I have noticed just a slight shift flare mostly at part throttle and I believe 3-4. Maybe 2-3.

My first inclination is to pull the tranny and install a tugger kit. But before I do, is there any chance this could be cured by a FIPL adjustment? I checked the FIPL this summer. It is not original and it was set at 1.2 volts at idle and swept up smoothly with throttle.

I purchased the truck late last summer and have not yet towed heavy. But this spring I'll be needing to tow 10k lbs on the weekends. I'm concerned the transmission problem will be magnified when towing but I have no data to back this up.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try adjusting the tps to where youre happy with the shifts, the specs are more of a guideline imo, it should be adjusted to where it suits the driver's liking for how an auto should shift.

gandalf

Reaction score
Try adjusting the tps to where youre happy with the shifts, the specs are more of a guideline imo, it should be adjusted to where it suits the driver's liking for how an auto should shift.

Adjust also according to your usage of the truck. A sharp, "snap", shift when the truck is unloaded will be smoother when towing heavy. A comfortable shift when the truck is unloaded will turn mushy with a heavy load.

SLittle

Reaction score

Thank you. I'll play around with the adjustment.... if it ever gets above sub-arctic temperatures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online