slide in camer and towing

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who here uses their truck with a slide in camper and tows a trailer. I have a 12k trailer that weighs about 2,900 lbs and jeep that weighs about 5,000lbs. So trailer weight is about 8k. Im thinking about a 800 series lance camper. Weighs about 2700 lbs. But im wondering if Ill be pushing the limits of the truck. I tow every month from md to pa. Will I need air bags or a spring helper? I do have a weight distribution system that I can use. What do you all think? My rig specs are in my sig below.

Thanks

Last edited:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
you should be fine....i haul a 16' 10k trailer with a samurai on a regular basis....went to NC with a fiberglass cap and enough parts to rebuild the zuk and camping gear for 3 people and had no issues...

i live right by Rausch Creek btw lol

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love rc...so yeah, Ive been pulling trailer and jeep with a fiberglass camper now for 4 years...but I'm a little hesitant about adding a slide in camper that weighs another 2700 + pounds.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
not saying air bags wont help... i had nearly 2 yards of stone in my truck and it just made it ride nice lol

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see your signature, but I can see others signatures, so I don't know what you have. I wouldn't do it without a dually myself. My rear tires are load range E, rated for something like 3400 lbs each if memory serves, so with a load like that I know I'd be overloading them and a blowout would be catastrophic, with that much weight in the bed and that much weight behind you. There is a big difference between hauling rock for short trips on county roads and hauling hundreds of miles on the interstate, in my opinion. I would overload the heck out of my truck for the former but not the latter. You could hook up your normal load minus camper, head to the scale, and see what your rear axle load is. Add 2700 (consider adding in 500 lbs of all your stuff - it adds up fast) and see how much over you are. Unless you're a dually you are likely overweight already without the camper.

DragRag

Reaction score
I had a 3000 lb camper that went into the back of my 92' F350 cc 4x4 and it absolutely needed airbags. They stick up so high that they make the truck rock back and forth to much without the extra push from the airbags. 3000lbs in the bed is a lot different then 3000lbs up in the air and over the top of your truck. You will be able to tow OK also, but you are at the limit of the truck without a doubt. Get the air bags without hesitation.

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an old 11' camper, don't know how much it weights and tow a 1,500 lb trailer with a 5,000 lb Jeep with no problem. I do have and recommend air bags, they control the sway very nicely. I also tow a 32, 5th wheel with no problems.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why signature is showing...ill check later.

94 f350 crew cab, dually, turbo, e rated tires, 4.10 gears, 3" downpipe and exhaust, hypermax intake

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice. So it sounds like I should be ok with airbags. I am looking right now at a Lance 810 which is 8'6". Which is perfect because I wouldn't have to use an extended hitch. The label says dry weight is 1,200 pounds..but I understand that is before options. This one has A/C, heat and automatic jacks. Current owner has it on a 2002 f350 srw truck and it isnt sagging at all. Im probably going to go back and put it on my truck this weekend.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice. So it sounds like I should be ok with airbags. I am looking right now at a Lance 810 which is 8'6". Which is perfect because I wouldn't have to use an extended hitch. The label says dry weight is 1,200 pounds..but I understand that is before options. This one has A/C, heat and automatic jacks. Current owner has it on a 2002 f350 srw truck and it isnt sagging at all. Im probably going to go back and put it on my truck this weekend.
you do know the '02 has a cab 4" taller than ours. if nothing else, you will have a sizable gap between the roof of your truck and the camper.

this camper setup belongs to 444_bob. iirc, it's a 9 series Lance with two popouts. fully loaded with water and supplies, he's a 12k gross. add the boat and you're pushing 16k easy.

Attachments

• chev 4x4 camper and boat.jpg
    chev 4x4 camper and boat.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 127

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt

you do know the '02 has a cab 4" taller than ours. if nothing else, you will have a sizable gap between the roof of your truck and the camper.

this camper setup belongs to 444_bob. iirc, it's a 9 series Lance with two popouts. fully loaded with water and supplies, he's a 12k gross. add the boat and you're pushing 16k easy.

Hey Towcat, no I didnt realize that. Thanks for the heads up. I guess that isnt a big issue...I wonder if the wind gets trapped in there though. That 9 series is a good bit bigger and heavier, especially with the slide out, than the 810. Nice Camper though. Do you know if he is running air bags or spring helpers?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 9 series is a good bit bigger and heavier, especially with the slide out, than the 810. Nice Camper though. Do you know if he is running air bags or spring helpers?
He's running both. He's got the airbags and "supersprings" in there to keep the ass end level.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have pulled lots of miles with camper and trailer with my crewcab. I know that the camper weighs right at 2900 and the total load is 18.5k with truck. it handles this very comfortably on 235/85-16. I tried 285/75-16 e rated tires one time and it drove like crap with this load.

this is with no airbags or equalizer. truck sits level loaded.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Black Dawg, That is good to hear about the 235/85's that is the sized I have. Wow no airbags? Is that an f350 you were running? Dually? Im going to go back to look at the lance 810 this weekend and put it on the truck and see what it looks like.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
you do know the '02 has a cab 4" taller than ours. if nothing else, you will have a sizable gap between the roof of your truck and the camper. ...

At least he's not going the other way, leaves a nice mark.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online