six nine took a dump yesterday!

mainiac

Reaction score
Was driving down the road talking to my wife and realized the engine was knocking/scuffing real loud. I turned right around and drove it home. Power was okay at higher speeds, but low speed and takeoff was real choppy and surged a bit.
Thought it might be the flywheel, but, nope. I think the lower end took a crap on me. I have been expecting this to happen as I drive it like I stole it. Ha-Ha!

Any suggestions or info I might need to know before I rebuild.
I will be doing all assembly and such. Machining will be dome by a Ford guy in Windham, probably have him do the cam bearings too.

This sucks, now I have to drive the wifes Z71!

83 6.9 with older style non wastegated ATS turbo, c6, 4x4.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely want to have a confirmation of oil pressure loss, or even a visual confirmation of a bad rod/spun bearing before I did an overhaul. How many miles on the unit...did you lose oil pressure etc?

mainiac

Reaction score
No oil pressure drop, but the flywheel is moving at least an eighth of an inch end play, more if the tranny wasn't still bolted up. Either way its going to get reringed/honed/bored and new bearings, pump. I'm this far into it, might as well look inside. Need this to be dependable and a good runner. I've got it almost out and ready for the stand, wife said to drive my 79 or her truck for the time being.
Yee haw!

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Heh, well have fun. Be sure to take the heads off correctly, unbolt them in the correct pattern. Use locktite on everything you can get it on, except the head bolts obviously. The rattling of that engine just shakes everything loose. Also, i'd suggest using permatex sealant stuff for the oil pan, don't bother with gaskets.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
yaric008 said:
Heh, well have fun. Be sure to take the heads off correctly, unbolt them in the correct pattern. Use locktite on everything you can get it on, except the head bolts obviously. The rattling of that engine just shakes everything loose. Also, i'd suggest using permatex sealant stuff for the oil pan, don't bother with gaskets.

What he said...

mainiac

Reaction score
Yup, lots of fun...not.
She spun a bearing, not worth repairing in my opinion. Any advice on that subject.
Found a complete 1990 F350 with a real sweet sounding 7.3 in it, wants 2k for the whole shebang. Old guy owns it, looks real clean and started right up. Sounded really healthy.
I just don't know what to expect with a used motor, wish I could just have had the block in good enough shape to go over the one I have.
Looks like I'm hitting the wife up for 2 grand.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spun bearing....so does this mean the rod made a window in the block? Is the crank out of spec? Often the bearing is the only thing damaged from what I hear on these diesels, but then they don't usually eat bearings either. If nothing else is broken, it might be worth reparing?

mainiac

Reaction score
JD, good point. I wanted to get some time on the truck tonight, but got home late.
I will think positive and hope for the best.

By the way, I'm in Maine and there isn't squat around here for motors right now.
What have you got for motors?

Mike

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get a good offer on a motor, but its in another state, it isn't neccessarily a deal breaker, you can get one shipped for a cpompetitive price, but it would still eb $$$$, look at this site www.freightquote.com They have treated me well. There also appears to be a similar company which advertises here. I would worry a bit about a used 7.3 unless it had had good oil change maintenance and SCA maintenance which could be proven. A used 6.9, not so much. Hope you will find you can fix yours. Unless it windowed the block, worst case scenario is that you'll need a new crank, which wouldn't be quite as expensive, but yours could probably be brought back into spec from what I've heard, but again, I haven't built one so I don't know for sure,
J.D.

mainiac

Reaction score
I got it out and apart last night. It didn't do much damage from the quick look I took in there.
I'm weary of used engines, never know what I'm going to get or expect. Could end up where I'm at right now.

Thanks for the replies!

sassyrel

Reaction score
depending on time running with spun---those cranks are hard!!!!!!!!!! doubt you harmed it--may just need to be polished--and the rod may or may not need to be trued up--id say rebuild it--properly--and go another 200,000 or so----