single or dual steering dampners

single or dual steering dampners(shocks)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Another option number 3 voter. If it is set up properly a damper is not needed.

Also for those saying hydro assist, if you already have hydroboost brakes, forget hydro assist steering. The booster unit reduces flow to much for assist to work properly. It will still work albeit very slowly. To slow for road use. It scares me sometimes on my truck off road. Can't counter steer quickly in an emergency situation.

Running a saginaw pump and extra PS fluid reservoir?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not a pressure issue. I have a psc Saginaw style pump and a resivior that holds 3 qts, a large cooler, and the rest of the system. Total fluid capacity is around 1.25 gallons. Lol

The booster is s restriction in flow, not allowing enough fluid to be passed through. I will be removing my hydroboost and going back to vac booster with electronic pump.

There is a guy on pirate that will open up the flow inside the hydroboost unit, and complete rebuild it for around 500-600 bucks.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id rather have the hydro brakes than power assist for street use.
maybe it would be awesome in an off road rig, but
delayed steering? no thank you
600+ bucks to upgrade? no thank you.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
id rather have the hydro brakes than power assist for street use.
maybe it would be awesome in an off road rig, but
delayed steering? no thank you
600+ bucks to upgrade? no thank you.

Since I have a pavement pounding dually, Bruiser will primarily be an off road rig. Always kept the "weekend warrior" idea with it so it would be capable/reliable both on and off road. 8" stroke dual action rams are less than $100 from TSC along with inexpensive 1/4" hydraulic hoses. Besides, if you NEED hydro assist on road, you should probably think about smaller tires :D

Black dawg

Reaction score
my truck has spent more time without one than with. Dont really need one if everything is in good shape and steering gear set up nice and tight. This is with very round very small tires though...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it was read that I was saying you NEED a dampener.

I agree, the two we installed the dampener on were just fine without it. It just made the road manners nicer for being daily drivers. We were not trying to "correct" a problem, just make driving on the crappy rural roads a bit less jarring to the wrists....

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
This is for the 6 door right?
if so I say don't bother it's more of a Mall Crawler you couldn't fit that truck any place you would need a winch or suspension upgrades.

JM2CW

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mall crawler LOL
ive fit this truck in a few sticky situations.
it will handle its own offroad.
as far as needing a winch, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

and it was built to travel in the snow, self sufficiently.

e30bradley

Reaction score
The dana 60 I rebuilt and installed in my truck has no steering stabilizer. I have no shimmy or wobble of any kind. I would say it has less bump steer than the dana 44 I took out.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Bradley, death wobble and bump steer are very different things. Bump steer comes primarily from panhard rod and drag link being at different angles. I bet after your swap the angles were more closely matched.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a single monroe cheapo special on the SD frame, which started leaking a few months after being installed.
That beign said, it would probably be ok for factory sized tires but doing medium speed over rough terrairn, with the 37s Id go with either a) a better quality and higher valved single, or duals. Sometimes i let the wheel a little loose in my hands so it can shake back and forth adn do its thing rather than fight it as it does feel quite violent at times.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Running duals can prematurely wear the other steering components.
Not for a off road rig, total different ball game.
My truck came with one. I do probably need to replace it, but I don't currently have any steering problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk