Please help with tech details on years of fit

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit one of the local salvage yards today looking for a D 60 front.

He has a 93 350 4x4 7.3...... I don't know the shape of the body, or even if its been wrecked.

But.

I need to find out if the 93 will cross to my 87.

Honest guys, if I wasn't on such a short time line here to be able to grab the parts before there gone. I would do some searching and try to figure this one out on my own.

He says 600 for the axle, steer linkages, springs and sway bar.
I am thinking to offer him 800 for the rear/with springs along with the driveshafts.

I'm gonna guess that 1000 may not be a bad deal but figure I should start low.

Right now the only thing I am lacking to put my rig on the road is the rear axle seals and brakes. So if I can grab up these parts, then I can go thru them as time and money permits.

Last question is.....
My bbq trailer weighs 9k, about 990 on the tongue, and thats before I load beer and meat.
I know duals would help it handle better but with that much tongue weight, am I asking for troubles from the singles.

Thanks guys. This could be the deal of the week for me if it all pans out.
Tom

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I am not one of the most knowledgeable guys here when it comes to 4x4's but I believe it will fit just fine. And I also think you;ll be fine with the singles with your trailer.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 93 d-60 hi-pinion will cross fit youre 87 ,if it needs ball-joints and u-joints though throw 500.00 at him in my opinion.as for youre trailer run load range E tires should be good,also a class lll hitch ,with the right rise or drop on the draw-bar to make level .and you want the draw-bar & hitch as close as you can get it to the bumper some off the shelf hitches stick out way to far every inch that 900 pounds is away from the bumper is like adding a extra 100 lbs of lift on the front of the truck you may need a custom made unit ,you want the truck & trailer level level loaded good luck

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The axle is a swap in.;Sweet You will have ball joints instead if king pins though. I personally would run E rated tires on a SRW and a class 5 receiver rated for your 10,000 lb trailer wt. You also will need a load distributing hitch setup to be totally legit in the eyes of the law. If the tongue weight continues to be an issue, air bags work wonders.:thumbsup: Gives you carrying capacity and a good ride when empty.:D

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
86-97 all fit. Later ones had different calipers; they bolt on instead of using the pins like all of us are used to. I had a 97 that had the bolt on calipers, but I'm not sure when they changed.
My trailer weighs close to what you're monster BBQ weighs; except it's a fifth wheel. I'm currently towing with load range D tires rated at 2930 pounds each (I plan on stepping up to some load range E soon). With the 1700lbs. of pin weight on the trailer, The tires are right at their limit, but it tows just fine. The trailer knocks the back of the truck down about 2" (still not quite level), and 55psi in the air bags brings it right back to normal height; and it rides much better than unloaded.
Yes, it will work, but most people will probably recommend looking for a set of load range E tires, myself included.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I really appreciate the rapid response.

Now I gotta sell a smoker so that I can get the money back to the bank.

I have a receiver hitch built from 3/8" bent plate along with a 3" square tube cross over with 4 1/2" grade 8's holding it to the frame.

This first pic is the add-on I plan to do when I move the hitch over to the 87.
I may not need it but its gonna be there just in case.

You must be registered for see images attach

I think I will plate the top of the hitch where the angle is cut as well.

I picked up a weight dist hitch last month for 121.00 delivered to the door.
10,000 lb hitch.

The way I built the tongue of the trailer the bars are closer to center then on a conventional trailer and the tongue is high compared to the location of the bars. Once I hook it, I can leave the bars on even when I put the hitch in a 90 degree backing situation.

I redrilled the receiver to get the hitch head closer to the bumper as mentioned above.

I know I really don't need the weight bars but with just a light load set on um, makes a world of difference.

Here is one of the rig closed up and another with it open and cooking.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks,,,, Its a blast cooking.

If I wasn't so dang far, I would offer to try and make the rally along with doing up some good eats.

We do a couple comps a year, but mostly just cook for fun. And now I get to have a cool truck to pull it around with.

Thanks again guys, I got two more responses while I was posting the last time.

And to update, I believe that I have (E's) on the back end of the 95 right now.
I do have to get new rubber for the trailer tho.

I also just converted the old surge brakes to elec, 7000lb backing plates on 6000lb axles, with a tekonsha voyager controller. I even went all out and got the break away kit so I can be legal.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was heading to bed and can't quit thinking about this.

I have seen.a couple threads where guys need the yoke and front driveshaft . Does that apply to my application as well?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I was heading to bed and can't quit thinking about this.

I have seen.a couple threads where guys need the yoke and front driveshaft . Does that apply to my application as well?
yes. get the yoke off the transfer case and the double cardan front driveshaft. your calipers should slide right into the D60 if your front is a D50 originally..

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, this is a sad sad day I made my trip back to the yard only to find out the 350 7.3 was actually a 250, 460 gasser. With the d50 front. Talk about a sad moment. But thanks to all your help I know what I am looking for now.

tom37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The day has turned out to be less then a total loss. I was able to pick up a rear sliding window since someone needed mine worse then me.

For now I am still on the lookout for the 60. In the mean time I will do up the brakes and run it as is.

For the frame guys,,,,,I am sagging in the left rear. I have hopes that its just a bad spring. How would I go about finding out it the frame is twisted rather then a just a weak spring?

And the best news ever, came when trying my best to explain to the wife why I wanted the parts I want. And to my surprise, she comes off with.

Why dont you just drive it like it is and watch for a 4 door 350 4x4.
So I think thats a good plan.

Thanks again for the info.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
And the best news ever, came when trying my best to explain to the wife why I wanted the parts I want. And to my surprise, she comes off with.

Why dont you just drive it like it is and watch for a 4 door 350 4x4.
So I think thats a good plan.

Sounds like a good plan;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tom-
Don't know if you ever ran into Frank Boyer in the BBQ competitions, I am working as a prep chef for him later on this month at one of his GTG's in the Santa Cruz mtns. Here's what I get to babysit for the day......

Attachments

• frank boyer bbq.jpg
    frank boyer bbq.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online