Siezed mirror

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I bought a nice set of factory tow mirrors off of Craigslist for 40 and their in mint looking condition like these [I don't have a picture of mine on the phone right now]

You must be registered for see images attach

The one moves vertically and swings out perfectly. The other moves vertically but it's siezed up when it comes to "swinging out". I tried to loosen the bolt on the bottom and it's stuck. Even with a 3 foot cheater bar stuck. I'm almost positive there are little rubber grommets between the metal that would melt if I used heat. It's sitting in a wd40 pool at the moment.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'll be honest for what I'm doing with them it doesn't really need to swing out as they are gonna stay in the in position and I'm just using the bigger steel and heftier mounts so the big west coast mirrors I already have on the idi can be mounted better with adjustable bolts so I can also pull those in and out to get the truck in the garage versus the current mess I have there lol..

You must be registered for see images attach

If you zoom in on the sides you can see what I'll be trying to do there I think lol. I'd still like to be able to move the one mirror if I need to.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
From what I remember on the ones I've seen/had, the only grommet is between the mount and door.
Mine were pretty stiff to turn also. Ended up running a tap through the holes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can recommend is something better than WD40! Try some PB Blaster.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
warm then up to say about 250 degrees. Then cool down by flooding them with pb blaster or better yet. Aerokroil.As it cools from the spray the threaded joint with suck in the oil. Sounds like someone used a carbon steel bolt instead of a stainless steel bolt but. If you change to stainless use some anti seize on the threads. Otherwise the stainless threads sure will Gaul and then drilling is the only way to remove it.

tonyj54

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I thought that I was just being wimpy, because I couldn't move the mirrors on my '86 F-250.

I was afraid to crank on them too hard, for fear of breaking something. Now I know that I can go out and get radical with them.