Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Show us a pic of your brake controller!

Tells us why you bought that one in particular. Then give us the pro's and con's.

I have the Tekonsha Prodigy 3 brake controller.

I bought this because I had a P1 and later needed electric over hydraulic. (P1 does not support but P2 and P3 do.) The reviews were all good for the P3, it was compact, came with a carry case, and my P1 had worked flawlessly.

Pro's
1) Removable with a clip on holder bracket which is included. (Also comes with perminent braket.)
a) So can be used amoung your fleet. (Just buy additional brackets and wiring.)
b) It can be removed to prevent theft.
2) They sell plug and play wiring for newer vehicles.
3) Has 3 levels of boost with 10 settings per. So very sensitive so can find that happy medium of truck and trailer braking.
4) Proportional not time based.
5) Can be set for electric (Magnet) or electric over hydraulic brakes.(Brake pump)
6) Small so does not stick out and hit my leg. But infront of my arm/leg so I can reach the trailer brake control lever in case I need to straighten out a swaying trailer.

Con's
1) A little pricey at around $140-160.
2) Does require you to manually switch between electric or electric over hydraulic braking.

Show us what you got!

View media item 941

Last edited:

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I prefer the least electronics possible (that's why I have IDIs after all!), so I like the teknosha voyagers, which I currently have in two trucks right now and they work great as expected. I think the last one I bought was around $40 off amazon. IIRC, it's rated for up to 4 braking axles, which was way overkill for me.
You must be registered for see images attach

Rock

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer the least electronics possible (that's why I have IDIs after all!), so I like the teknosha voyagers, which I currently have in two trucks right now and they work great as expected. I think the last one I bought was around $40 off amazon. IIRC, it's rated for up to 4 braking axles, which was way overkill for me.

Rock

This is the same one that I have… I like how it works…. I’ve had it in 2 trucks… my 2000 Durango, and it now lives in my 2003 Excursion. When we get another camper, this is what the Excursion will be using to control it. I plan on adding the Ford Factory controller to the F-150 when the time comes….

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have a new tekonsha, if anyone is looking. I'll have to double check the model when I get home. Pretty sure p3 or p2.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I have a new tekonsha, if anyone is looking. I'll have to double check the model when I get home. Pretty sure p3 or p2.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

If it’s a P3, let me know what you want for it? I always like to have spares laying around.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
If it was a P3 I would take it as a spare to mine. The P2 is good too, so sure someone will want it. If not put on Offerup, should go quick. Thanks for the quick response.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I bought an installed a Redarc Pro-Tow Elite. It uses a cat5 type cable to the control button/knob. Because of this I was able to mount the controller under the dash. (Can be mounted in any position and it learns the correct direction to brake as you make your first few stops ; without a trailer at first).

Then I was free to put the small button control knob wherever I wanted on the dash.

From etrailer- You can use the knob to set the maximum amount of power that will be applied to your trailer's brakes. Typically, this power is only readjusted when you experience changing road conditions or if you switch over from a heavy, loaded trailer to a much lighter, empty trailer, or vice versa. To get more power to your brakes, rotate the switch clockwise. To decrease the power output, rotate it counterclockwise.

When you apply the tow vehicle's brakes, a red LED light will inform you that power is being sent back to the trailer brakes. As you increase the power with the control knob, the light will glow brighter, indicating the increased braking power.

The Tow-Pro Elite gives you easy access to manually apply the trailer brakes without using the tow vehicle's brakes. To engage the manual override, just push down on the control knob. This will activate the trailer's brakes, helping you to control its momentum.

So far I just run it in Auto. Adjustments are easy. Reaching down to test out or tap the trailer brakes on a steep downhill is quick and easy.

My old brake controller was mounted by the PO below the ashtray and could be difficult to reach while driving. I had to lean over so far I lost a good view of the road ahead.

I’ll report back as I get more experience with this tiny marvel.