Should I Buy This?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I found this earlier and I'm thinking about buying it because I will be working again soon and can put some money into it. I don't know much about the Mercedes diesel engines, but for the price is it a bad deal?

1981 Mercedes 300D

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would. Those cars are incredible, and even if it is something somewhat pricey that needs to be repaired or changed out, you will still come out ahead at that price. And chances are being that it belongs to a college kid (I was one once and had to help with a lot of other people jalopies) it may be a simple issue. But it is a chance you are taking, but like I said - for the price you can't go wrong.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
x2 on that. The MB motors are incredibly tough. The folks in Europe tune the turbo versions to sick power levels; they are good to 6500rpms. There's one guy in Finland that runs 11s with that body style. And that is with bolt ons (big pump, injectors and turbo) on stock long blocks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just walked away from a grey market bolt action 4spd car that got crunched in the ass for 1k. outside of the busted butt, the rest of the car was spotless.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
punkmechanic says to buy it and if I can't get it running that he will buy it off me for whatever I have into it (cost of cars, any parts, fuel to get it, etc.). I don't see how I can go wrong. I'm going to at least call the owner tomorrow to get a better idea of what the car needs. Like I said earlier, I don't know much about these vehicles. When I was 16, I bought a 1968 Mecedes 220D that ran for $400. The transmission needed rebuilt (only had first and reverse), but it ran. Found out later, that it was going to cost $2,500 to have the transmission rebuilt, so I sold it for $500 and bought a pickup. From what I'm told, these are the IDIs of the "car world".

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Speaking of transmission problems, I am curious about running Auto Rx through one and changing the B2 piston. This is the most common problem with the MB autos and has been the reason trans shops have made a killing by telling the owner that the trans needs a rebuild. Do a Google on the B2 piston and you'll see what's up.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I'm told, these are the IDIs of the "car world".
That's a pretty accurate statement IMHO. I'm on my third one now, and I've never had a significant engine problem with any of them. My first one had suspension problems but was still a viable daily driver when I gave it to my ex-girlfriend -cuss and my second one lost the tranny and had a million and one other small issues (mostly caused by neglect and/or shoddy repair work by the previous owner).

I'd recommend an M-B diesel to anyone who's mechanically competent and wants a fuel-efficient daily driver ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726