New here- W110 buy

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all, so I’m usually on the 6.9 and 7.3 IH page but I just looked at an older Mercedes and I’m tempted. Figured I’d hop on here and ask for your opinions. Here is the link to the posting for the vehicle:
An older guy from Montana has it and it was his dads. He was a really good guy, loved to talk. He said his dad and his dad buddy used to work on restoring it all the time. He also said they drove it across the country a couple times when he was a kid, the mileage has got to be up there.

I’ve never had a German vehicle but it doesn’t really turn me off either. The only thing I see is parts may be hard to find, and when you do, they’re expensive. Is that the case? I’m thinking it is a W110 and it has the OM621 engine on it. It is a manual transmission. Oil was in the pan, diesel has been sitting in the fuel tank for years. Body looked pretty good for being so damn old. Exhaust has seen better days, that will need to be replaced. Interior wasn’t great but I’ve seen worse. They started laying new carpet but never finished.
What could I be getting into folks? How hard of a resto could this be to turn it into an in town commuter. I threw out that I might be able to get $2,000 to buy it and he said he’d take that much. Is that high for one of these in this condition?

Here’s a tag photo and valve cover photo. Any insight would be great!

Attachments

• 0EF2EDA3-6CED-4C85-A17F-22C234F5787B.jpeg
    0EF2EDA3-6CED-4C85-A17F-22C234F5787B.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1BA70F91-E553-4EE9-B7FC-EF6B0897E9CE.jpeg
    1BA70F91-E553-4EE9-B7FC-EF6B0897E9CE.jpeg
    486.6 KB · Views: 4

Cactus Bob

Reaction score
your going to hate it. one of the worst driving slowest cars out there. it's that bad. much slower than a rabbit diesel....yes it's that bad.
PS it has a top speed of 50 MPH. most where used as taxis in big city's. power and speed was not needed 35 MPH and great mileage. well great mileage for back then . my Dad had one and it got 30MPG.
One of the few cars i sold off and not been sorry i did.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Town commuter? Does that mean no interstate? I had a friend with a 190 in high school and it was bombproof but slow. I had a 220 and currently daily drive a 240. It will be a cool car, and more parts are available than you might think. My son daily drives a 115 chassis and most stuff for it can be found.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like it would be a cool fun car but yup, been reading a lot how SLOW they are. That’s kind of turning me off to it now. I’m thinking maybe just holding out the cash and putting it back into the IDI :Thumbs Up

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a mechanical diesel mercedes, go 70s or 80s mechanical 5 or 6 cylinder. My 300SDL was one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven, and it hammered on the highway. The 5 cylinders are better on fuel and supposedly pretty ok if turbo charged, and if not they are just simpler and slower, but still very bulletproof.

I'd daily drive another mechanical Benz in a second, just not one as old as you were looking at.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01