Short bed F250

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Well I've had the idea for a short bed F250 bouncing around my head for awhile. I was thinking about doing it to my truck but then I won't have something to pull trailers & haul stuff with. So I'm thinking down the road I'd like to take a 2wd F250 & cut it down to a short bed. I just wondered how hard that would be? I know you'll have to get a new tank like the Bronco's have. Have the drive shaft shortened, cut the frame & re-weld it. I was thinking of making a sporty little 2wd F250 IDI to zip around with in the summer. Then keep my 4x4 for all of the work.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short, we almost did this to my buddie's F-250 today. He has a less than 8600 GVW though, so the specs may change. His semi-float Sterling axle uses a 1/2 ton driveshaft, which means he can use a F-150 stepside driveshaft (80s shortbox stuff).

I think the heavy duty F-250s which came with dielsels don't have any shortbox options, besides getting a machine shop to shorten your driveshaft.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I think the heavy duty F-250s which came with diesels don't have any shortbox options
I know they had the super cab & the crew cab short in 96-97 on gassers & the Powerstroke but I don't think I've seen any before that. I know mine was the Heavy Duty package but what exactly does that consist of? I know it has a full floating rear end. Yeah I was thinking I'd have to go the a race shop & have them shorten the drive shaft.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
My 84 F250 was shortened when I got it ( it was used to haul cattle in Vermont truck #42).

i loved it -when it got hit the bed was mangled so I made a flatbed dump fot it,that would lock down in the front.That way I could pull a fith wheel or a goose neck trailer.Which I did. It was a great towing truck,and it was multi purposed- Dump-flat bed-goosneck hauler-and had a ultra heavyduty home built reciever for pintle hitch & bumper hitch trailers.I miss it.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
You don't see that many Single cab short bed Diesels. Besides that, everybody & their brother has a Supercab short bed. I think one with 2wd, a turbo, ZF5 stick shift & 3.55 gears would be a full little truck.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think i would just get a f-150 reg cab short bed and make it the way you want, then get big block frt springs for it to hold the weight, hell, worse comes to worse at least you would have all the things to transfer to another frame

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
i think i would just get a f-150 reg cab short bed and make it the way you want, then get big block frt springs for it to hold the weight, hell, worse comes to worse at least you would have all the things to transfer to another frame
I was thinking about that at first, but I still think it would be stronger & better if you just cut down a F250. No worrys about beefing up the frontend or the drivetrain. Don't forget you would have a Ford 8.8" 5 lug rear end. Given enough torque I don't think it would hold up too well.