Shocks?

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of shocks are you using?

I use Rancho 9000's and love them. With the weight I cary, they give me a nice solid ride and no more overload slapping. When I unload the truck, I have a choice between 8 more settings. My settings are kept at, front on 5 and my rears on 8.

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the factory shocks on mine. I've used Rancho's in the past and I've been pleased with them. I'm looking at getting a Kelderman Air Ride system here in the next month or so and they come with Rancho 9000's.

B

Big K

NB sucks, so.......

.......I ain't puttin no Ranchos on mine;)

Seriously, folks, those 9000's seem to be working real well for him. I'm going to try some of the new Bilstiens just to be different. Then we can compare. This helps us both the next time around.:D

Just ordered some Bilstiens for the wife's Durango. Off-Road Warehouse. They have a TDR special for shocks and front leveling coils for my CTD. That's next.

Or I could lose my mind and call Brett King.........or not:Knob

Glad that I have a sense of humor, or I might just insult myself;)

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running RSX's - and I actually like them a lot. I'd probably never adjust 9000's if I had them.

White Ram

Reaction score
I had Rancho 9000's on the old truck after a month or two I stopped adjusting the things. just too much of a PITA.

steve

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a PITA to switch settings but I don't do it often. I drive with the weight in my truck 99.9% of the time so my settings stay the same. On the off chance I take my tools out for an extended period of time, I will change settings.

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
I have the Bilstiens and they do the job just fine. I don't have any expierience with the others, but I think I would drive myself crazy constantly adjusting the ranchos. Can't leave that stuff alone.

The bilstiens keep things solid but not to firm, no front to back rocking, and turns feel good and solid. Same for towing (5th wheel), no extended bouncing or rocking. I guess the best way to describe them is they feel stable, not to firm, not to soft, and steady. Quick dampening. The only complaint is the gay colors of the shocks themselves, but a can of spray paint fixes that. ;)

I have been told that there are two types of Bilstiens out there, the lessor quality ones on OEM like GM, then the heavier duty versions that are sold over the counter. Might want to clarify just in case.

Glad I have them, $49.99 each at Auto Drone. Kevin

2500cummins

Reaction score
I was very happy with the adjustable rancho's on the rear, set on 5 they made the truck much more stable with the camper loaded and on 1 or 2 not to bad empty. The fronts I was unimpressed with, it seemed like you had to choose between smooth ride but no control or stable but rough, also they were completely shot after 40k miles.

The T Rex engineering system I have on now is beyond explanation, smoother on the highway, much more controlled at high speed on pavement and HOLY ****! good off road:cool it nearly eliminates the shake on washboards and totally eliminates all floating or skating of any kind on rough washboard roads. I still cant believe they can make a 3/4 ton truck ride and perform this well and still handle a 3000 lb camper as well if not better than stock :cool T Rex link
The T Rex stuff is very pricey but well worth it if you spend much time off road.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I put on Bilsteins a while back and have been pretty happy. The offroadwarehouse deal was good too. Just make sure when you get them to check the upper rubber mounts for the fronts. They should have a steel crush sleeve in them. If not, they get over/under tightened and the rubber wears away to nothing and you'll hear the shock rattling in the front. Bilstein hasn't really done much to stand behind the whole deal. They told me us TDR members were miscommunicating the situation and there was no possible way the shocks were shipped without the crush sleeves installed. He further told me there was no way without special tools to get the sleeve out of the rubber mount. I just tightened them down and have lived with a little rattle when on rough road for now.

MYTRNx3

T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Reaction score
Originally posted by 2500cummins
I was very happy with the adjustable rancho's on the rear, set on 5 they made the truck much more stable with the camper loaded and on 1 or 2 not to bad empty. The fronts I was unimpressed with, it seemed like you had to choose between smooth ride but no control or stable but rough, also they were completely shot after 40k miles.

The T Rex engineering system I have on now is beyond explanation, smoother on the highway, much more controlled at high speed on pavement and HOLY ****! good off road:cool it nearly eliminates the shake on washboards and totally eliminates all floating or skating of any kind on rough washboard roads. I still cant believe they can make a 3/4 ton truck ride and perform this well and still handle a 3000 lb camper as well if not better than stock :cool T Rex link
The T Rex stuff is very pricey but well worth it if you spend much time off road.

And he ain't joking either! That T-Rex system is out of this world...

Took me and a friend for a "drive" last month and then last week too - Freeking road that I would have rolled my rig on, He's taking at 50mph... my ******** was reaching out for the seat to hold onto lemme tell ya! Thing is that I'm used to mine bouncing all over the place - his --- smootheeee...

In any case, I just slapped a pair of Rancho 9000X on the rear of my truck, and boy oh boy what a difference.

genedeficiency

Reaction score
T-REX IS BAD ASS!!!

Originally posted by MYTRNx3
And he ain't joking either! That T-Rex system is out of this world...

Took me and a friend for a "drive" last month and then last week too - Freeking road that I would have rolled my rig on, He's taking at 50mph... my ******** was reaching out for the seat to hold onto lemme tell ya! Thing is that I'm used to mine bouncing all over the place - his --- smootheeee...

In any case, I just slapped a pair of Rancho 9000X on the rear of my truck, and boy oh boy what a difference.

Yeah She ain't lyin. I can confirm the bad assness of T-Rex. Hell I helped install those bad boys on that truck. They are a little pricey but if smoothness and drivability on and off road especially is what you are looking for then this is the system for you.

MYTRNx3

T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Reaction score
Pricy is an understatement... you can buy a whole truck for what he's got into them things..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726