shocks

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Ok, I have crappy shocks. On the highway we do the bouncey bounce if a pothole is hit.

whats a good replacement that could be obtained locally? (meaning autozone/oreilly/napa)
I don't do much towing, maybe 3-4k lbs a few times a year.

Drew

hayisforhorses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the napa heavy duty on my superduty works ok and price was good. Most guys talk about bilisteins and others but they are more money in this neck of the woods

Concrete John

Reaction score
KYBshocks online.com <<< Just put a set on my truck , very pleased with them , rough terrian every weekend , work great. Fast shipping too , have a look ...comes with nice protective boots as well .

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always just used the cheap Monroe stuff from Advance. Mine were really bad a couple times when I replaced them, which is probably what you will find also.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have crappy shocks. On the highway we do the bouncey bounce if a pothole is hit.

whats a good replacement that could be obtained locally? (meaning autozone/oreilly/napa)
I don't do much towing, maybe 3-4k lbs a few times a year.

Drew

I have said it many times before; most of us let our shocks go so long and get so decripit that any old shock is a vast improvement.

Recommended procedure is to replace shocks at each tire change; that's a whole lot of miles if you think about it.

Most of us are lucky if we replace them every tenth tire change. :rolleyes:

I recently replaced the original equipment shocks on my 25-year-old half-a-million-mile 10,000-pound hard-worked truck.

The originals, old-style hydraulic Monroe Magnums with Ford stamping, had hardly any resistance at all.

I replaced them with Rancho RS5000s and am well pleased.

As long as they will probably be on there, I recommend you get a premium heavy-duty shock of the brand of your choice, even though it will cost a bit more. ;Really

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drew-
the rear shocks are nothing more than travel limiters. no need to spend money on shocks for the rear. the fronts otoh, spend some of the money saved on the rears on better shocks for the fronts. i have KYB's on my fronts but will be trying Billstiens on the next changeout. I'm very impressed with the results on customer vehicles.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drew-
the rear shocks are nothing more than travel limiters. no need to spend money on shocks for the rear.

:angel: Not to disagree :angel:; but, I dis-agree. :angel:

Poor shocks on the rear will cause the rear tires to "dip", especially on a DRW. ;Really

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
towcat, most excellent advice.
I may just change the front and than do the backs after a few test drives to check this out.

Right now when towing I hit a pothole at 65 and bounce for 1/4 mile.

I gotta put this truck on the rack and replace everything, right now another truck is in it's place.

Drew

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
To an extent Towcat is right, running around empty or light loaded, you wouldn't notice much difference on the rear with the shocks on or off, but throw a heavy 5er on there and head into the mountains and it makes a difference. I had my shocks off the back for a couple of weeks when i sent them in to Bilstein for testing . Kind of like a semi, you won't see shocks on the rears of those beasts unless they have air bags or torsion bars on the back. I hauled a load of gravel with them off and it got to bouncing more than I like, I could see a spring breaking if pushed too far.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's time for new front shocks but, my rusty as hell Monro's seem to have held up pretty good. > over 10 years now;Really
Time for more research...again :rolleyes:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To an extent Towcat is right, running around empty or light loaded, you wouldn't notice much difference on the rear with the shocks on or off
Oh, I'll have to really disagree with you on that - when me and Cat_Rebel built my rear spring packs we left the rear shocks off cause they weren't long enough to reach the axle, the drive home along US 24 was not the most pleasant experience - truck would catch air, bounce way too much, and try to get squirrely. Next day I installed a pair of Gabiel shocks for a 4x4 F350 (they ate longer than the 2wd models) and at ride height they are right at mid-travel, made for an immense improvement in ride quality and overall stability of the truck.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a part number for the Bilsteins? Any one running the 5150's in the silver can?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin