shocks??????

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the Gabriel LTVs? They're supposed to be their super-heavy-duty line, so for a front-heavy truck like mine those should be a good match, right? These just for the front by the way, I already got Ultras in the rear and they ride pretty good both empty and pulling a trailer.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
BILSTEINS all the way!!! Ranchos are complete crap IMHO. I have had ranchoes on 3 differnt trucks. I put them on 2 of them and a week later they were replaced w bilsteins and never looked back.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Wow, I did not know Bilsteins had such a good warrenty and customer support to match it. Thats huge. Explorer Pro Comps are better than Ranchos and about half the price. Always reccomend the Pro Comps. Monroes and the like seem like they ride great for about 10k miles and then start to take lessons off of the shocks they replaced. Bilsteins will get their oppertunity to impress me on the wife's Excursion.

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok think ima go with the Bilsteins since i like what im hearing:Thumbs Up since those ranchos take a :number2 on you....... but i figured my front end was saging cause of my shocks so :***: ????

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front end wont sag b/c of shocks ,,, they sag b/c the springs are either weak or just losing the arc and in that case just have a spring shop re arch them of have new ones made like i did and add a leaf to them

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
THose bilsteins are pretty amazing. THey have been the factory shocks on mercedes darn near forever and I[ve driven 20+ year old MBs with the original shocks that rode and handled better than 2 year old anything else, We're talking big honking tuna boats that can still take a curve faster than most sports cars. They build those shocks to last.

Gabrials don't last long and the ride on the shocks for a 350 is downright painful, I gave a set away. The high end monroes ( that cost near as much as bilsteins )ride pretty nice on cars, but they start to fade over time and I do find myself getting woosy on occasion in ouur one car that has them so they are on their way out. I did seriously consider them for my truck, but they don't make the high end ones to fit this thing, all they make is their heavy duty hiney kickers, and I have no use for those things

I]ve had ranchos in the past on a different truck, and they were just plain harsh, got tired of breaking shock mounts, they went by-by.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gabrials don't last long and the ride on the shocks for a 350 is downright painful, I gave a set away.
Have you tried the LTV by Gabriel tho? I know their regular truck shocks will wear in rather quick, but these are supposed to be the commercial-duty model... As for harshness, don't forget that I have a few hundred pounds of bumper plus a spare wheel all the way up front, those work great for smoothing out the ride :eek:

And I know everyone swears by the Bilsteins, but I can't justify $200+ for a pair of shocks for a vehicle that gets driven less than 15 miles a week and at speeds rarely exceeding 45 mph...

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get the Rancho bashing, I like mine. Adjust firm for towing/hauling and adjust for less firm when empty.....simple. I don't see how a non-adjustable shock could have such great rides at both extremes :dunno

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front end wont sag b/c of shocks ,,, they sag b/c the springs are either weak or just losing the arc and in that case just have a spring shop re arch them of have new ones made like i did and add a leaf to them

wouldnt that be like adding a lift...would my truck start walking if i did that or do they make a kit cuzz i was thinking of putting 35`s for my next set of tires

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online