****** power

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
power loss after turbo swap

ok, so i get the 6.9 put in my 94. i didnt put the turbo back on at first, just a stock air filter. had power, ran well, and sounded good. so last weekend i put the factory turbo off of my 94 on the 6.9. everything fits ok i guess. spools up good, no endplay in the turbo shaft. now i get in it and it just seems doggy. i swear the engine had more balls BEFORE i put the turbo on. any thoughts? the 6.9 IP stayed on as my stock one left a little to be desired. the 6.9 had an ats turbo on it i just didnt put it back on. so the IP has been on a truck with a turbo before. not sure what is going on. maybe i am just expecting too much out of it. the motor sounds strong it just has little power.

oh and when i am onthe interstate and hit the fuel, my rpms actually go down. like the motor is loading out. :dunno any thougts would be appreciated. the motor is still under warranty too. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing i can think of is maybe you have a leak somewhere either on the exhaust side or on the pressure/intake side. Do you have a boost gauge? Pyro? The timing should be as good as it ever was if the pump nor the cover were removed. It would be good still to get it timed with tools...do you have any smoke? How's the transmission?

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
little black smoke, not as much as before the turbo. no gauges yet. i dont run it hard at all. i dont know where to get it timed at around here. (central illinois). the tranny is a ZF5. is there anything that can cause this problem there? if anyone is in the central illinois area call me an let me know of a place to get it timed. i am wanting to get new injectors and pump eventually. but i can only spend so much at a time. thanks!618-444-3951

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, its odd, the turbo usually really wakes these motors up, and I don't know what the heck could be causing the motor to lose rpm as you accelerate...maybe somebody does. Any ideal how old the fuel system on the 6.9 is? You might also turn up the IP some more, but you really should get a pyro and boost gauge so we can see where you are. I still wonder if you might not be getting some leaks in the turbo piping.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just a silly thought here, but is there any chance that a rag got left in one of the turbo exhaust fittings, or down in the pipe :dunno
Is the CDR attached and clear or RDT in place?

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
it sounds as if its getting too much air and not enough fuel. with a turbo your smoke should be jet black. with out the turbo the engine was sucking in everything it needed, but now your cramming air down its throat and you need to have the fuel to back it.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
theres no such thing as too much air a diesel regulates its power by how much fuel it injects and is always swallowing as much air as it can. the smoke is lighter now cause the fuel actually has enough air to burn most of it which sounds like its doing its job so that in itself should be making you more power.
The only thing I can think of is maybe you were expecting to much on low end and since you said you never run it hard now that you have a turbo and trying it out your INJ pump is just week and with the extra air your actually getting into the higher RPMs faster but then you feel it fall on its face

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a boost gauge and pyro to let you know what's going on for sure. There's no possible way a turbo would hurt your power, unless as I say, you have exhaust or intake leaks, might not be big or obvious, but they could have an effect.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the boost and pyro guage. Sounds like a intake leak to me or your turbo has a resistance keeping it from spooling or your wastegate is not working properly? If you have a wastegated system??? Any way a boost guage will tell you alot at this time.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You need a boost gauge and pyro to let you know what's going on for sure. There's no possible way a turbo would hurt your power, unless as I say, you have exhaust or intake leaks, might not be big or obvious, but they could have an effect.

Turbo bearing dragging or impeller damaged...just throwing out ideas.

dwaymar

dwaymar
Reaction score
sounds like a coupler to me either clamp not tight or maybe not sealing all the way had several go on big rigs and this is what would happen
luc to ya