Shes giving me problems when warms up

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, In new here, and new to the idi, my truck has 199k on the clock, just got it a week ago, already switched out the antifreeze with a total flush to 50/50 mix of FleetGuard, changed the oil with 15-40w Delo, used a powerstroke oil filter, changed the air filter out with a Wix, changed the fuel return lines, o-rings, and copper washers. Also I changed out the fuel filter, it still has the 2 piece. My problem is/are that when I got it, it was running a little weak, I fixed this with by filling the new fuel filter with injector cleaner/lube, started for 30 seconds then let set for 3 hours, cleaned out nicely, but now I started driving it again and it will run great until it gets a full operating temp, and then start losing power and develop a bad case of what sounds to me like valve chatter. So I when this happened I was close to the house, made a upturn and parked her in the driveway until I can get some advice from some folks who know these motors better. Some additional info is that I do not know I the IP has been messed with, the copper washers were leaking pretty bad in the back 3 bores on the passenger side, and the compressor wheel is ate up on the fins, I need to find someone who sells these, the shaft has no end play(side to side or in/out). The hose between the cdr valve is busted, and I haven't had the money to buy gauges yet, so not sure what egts or boost is running. Any and all help will be worshipped.... I mean greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the tool, I bought the kit and replaced it all, injector topside are still dry and lines no longer leak, I used a short flathead to check for rust and junk in the bottom of the bores but I'm quite sure that my method does not work as good as this tool would. By any chance do you know how accurate the factory oil pressure gauges are in the dash? I know ford has been bad about putting dummy ones in some vehicles, just hoping the oil pump didn't fail, and caused the valve chatter. It has me stumped, I'm really hoping its just something I'm unfamiliar with that will be motor specific.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and these motors are rather rare in my area, do these motors typically sound like the 7.3L powerstroke in regards to the typical cranking (I guess basically it sounds like a "ronk" lol) sound at idle?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3/4 tank, I'll definitely be getting a better gauge.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in eastern Kentucky, about 15 minutes east of Maysville Kentucky, does the problem I'm describing sound familiar to you? Me and the wife are trying to share her rig, and it's jut not working well at all, we have 3 kids and she's a stay at home mom with two of them and where I work crazy hours driving big rig, she's stuck at the house when I have to drive in, I don't mind buying parts, I just don't want to replace good parts. Thanks again

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for filling in your localtion. by the sounds of it, you pump and turbo are done. imho, there's no "mechanic in a can" that can undo damage already done. since you're on the east coast, get a hold of Mel at Conestoga diesel for a replacement pump. as far as turbo goes, there's good used or rebuilt.
good luck!

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I completely agree, I don't do additives apart from injector cleaner/lube, or heet, but stop leak and the sorts are more trouble than anything. I'm going to rob a oil psi gauge from my project car this evening and plumb it into the motor to check oil pressure, as far as turbo, what leads you to believe its toasted? It spins freely just no bearing free play. Thanks for the help and I'll look Mel up.

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW, Tollesboro, Ky

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and the compressor wheel is ate up on the fins, I need to find someone who sells these, the shaft has no end play(side to side or in/out).

compressor wheel ate up is the clue your turbo has problems.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post some pics, it's the front leading edge of the fins, not the outer edges, it literally looks like it's been ran without an air filter and debris hitting it while it's spinning, I believe that's what some previous owner has done. My previous diesel was a 99.5 7.3 and I honestly think I like this better, no hpop or hybrid injectors, I just don't know very much about these idi's yet. Thanks again for taking the time to help me work through this.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol XD I had my 7.3 and used a 6 position chip and was very happy with the performance of it, but those were the days when my wallet was the lightest, parts were just horribly expensive. I like the cost of parts for these trucks and I like the reliability. Also the fact that it's pre- Super Duty, not even f150s are safe from me when picking for body and interior parts lmao!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance