Shake from 70-80 mph?

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My truck has had a shake from around 70-80 mph for a while, even after I've gotten it aligned. Lately its been getting worse. I just replaced the track bar bushings, but its still loose(need the right size bolt for one side) I can see that the leaf spring bushings look shot, would these affect anything? Are there any other bushings? Balljoints and tie rods are decent so I dont think its those. Its a 94 F350

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget to mention I rotated the tires after I changed the wheel bearings and it still does it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the shake coming from the steering wheel or the floor? bad universal joints at 70-80 mph show up on the floor.

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can feel it in the wheel and it seems like the front end. Sometimes turning left or right a little bit will help.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does something similar. I suspect I have a bent rim but still haven't got around to having it swapped out.

My truck has very new tires that were mounted and balanced by the shop and get regular rotations evert 6000 miles. Currently the offending wheel is on the rear of my truck and its just barely noticable when running on blocks.

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its possible. I've got 16 inch American Racing rims on there with tires that are wider than factory. I'm planning on switching to factory Alcoas once I find a good deal then I can have the stock size, which I think look better.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Mine does that shake as well form 45 - to what ever speed and it comes and goes I rotated the tires and check the wheel bearings but nothing fixed it, got it to pull to the left in sted of the right though.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that shake as well form 45 - to what ever speed and it comes and goes I rotated the tires and check the wheel bearings but nothing fixed it, got it to pull to the left in sted of the right though.

How old are your tires? I've heard that might be an internall radial ply problem. If the belts stretch, or tear partially loose, the rolling resistance on that wheel will increase....and cause a shake on the wheel.

I had some really old tires on my F150 and one of them did that badly but would also bounce a little at parking lot speeds. Found a bald spot right in the middle of the tread where an internal belt had snapped.

Rolling the tire with that wheel in the air might show you a place that the tire is out of round.

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt be suprised if it was the tires. They were about new when I bought the truck and I've put about 40k on them since then. They are Mastercraft Courser A/Ts but I've never really liked them.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive got a similar problem with my truck.

I rotated my tires about a month ago and its only been noticeable in the last couple of weeks. It comes and goes and does not happen at just one speed.

Tires were new last summer so I'm not sure what would be causing it. Everything seems tight on the front end to.:dunno

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broken belts are not good. This one came really close to letting go at my usual cruise speed. Noticed a shake that was getting worse on the way home so I limited myself to below 60 MPH. Tire had almost 0 miles before I installed it but the age was unknown.

I'd look at that sooner than later because a high speed blow out isn't funny. Mine was on the front too.

Attachments

• Failed tire1.jpg
    Failed tire1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Failed tire2.jpg
    Failed tire2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Failed tire3.jpg
    Failed tire3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. My tires look fine but I realized today that one of my front tires has a plug in it. I'm not sure if that could affect anything but I think after I get the track bar squared away I'll rotate the tires again or hopefully find a deal on a good set of load range Es.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I purchased my tires at an auction last July for the Rally know age????, but I have a full replacement set so i guess its time to burn these off;burnoutLOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin