Serpentine belt tensioner issues...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory tensioner gave out on my truck a few months back, so I put a cheapo NAPA tensioner on it ( I believe that was my 1st mistake). I've been having problems ever since with the belt squealing, and on a few occasions, the belt has come off the Crank pulley.

I'm getting tired of crawling under the truck to snake the belt back into place. The stupid aftermarket crap NAPA tensioner has a lifetime warranty...should I give another one a try, or just fix it right and put a Ford factory part on?

I know, I think I answered my own question, but want some opinions...

Ryan

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory tensioner gave out on my truck a few months back, so I put a cheapo NAPA tensioner on it ( I believe that was my 1st mistake). I've been having problems ever since with the belt squealing, and on a few occasions, the belt has come off the Crank pulley.

I'm getting tired of crawling under the truck to snake the belt back into place. The stupid aftermarket crap NAPA tensioner has a lifetime warranty...should I give another one a try, or just fix it right and put a Ford factory part on?

I know, I think I answered my own question, but want some opinions...

Ryan
you answered your own question. I have the updated bracket and tensioner part numbers in the parts bin. Also, check your pulleys if your tensioner is jumping around. Most tensioner failures are from out of round pulleys.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me, I'd give NAPA another shot at the title, especially if it doesn't cost anything. You may get lucky. Then if it start up with the squealing go to Ford. Me, I've never had problems with aftermarket idlers.

BUT

Before changing it out make sure you don't have another unknown / hidden problems like a bent, warped, misaligned or cracked pully.....bolts missing from a PS, AC or Alt bracket etc.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the updated bracket and tensioner part numbers in the parts bin

Hey ya beat me to the punch and forgot about this. I now remember seeing a reference to this before on the tensioner. What was the reason for the revision of this part.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey ya beat me to the punch and forgot about this. I now remember seeing a reference to this before on the tensioner. What was the reason for the revision of this part.
imho.....
the updated unit has a larger bearing pivot surface and the spring is redesigned. overall, a much more reliable unit. I posted pics somewhere...

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imho.....
the updated unit has a larger bearing pivot surface and the spring is redesigned. overall, a much more reliable unit. I posted pics somewhere...

Thanks, I'll see if I can remember this if my CRS doesn't kick it back out.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About three weeks ago I bought a napa tensioner assembly and it worked great. Pulley was wider and also a metal pulley. I would go back to napa and try again or maybe there is another problem with another pulley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle