Serpentine Belt Idler

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi Steve,
I just pulled the idler pulley out of my 94 IDI. It was tough, and I had doubts about it possibly being a left hand thread, but NO, it's a regular thread, just tough to move. I tried tightening force and loosening force alternately, and it finally gave way and loosened up. I also applied LPS 3 several times for a couple of days prior, but I don't think that really helped me a lot.
Get a good set of torx bits, though.
Good luck,
Dan

Mr. Steve

Reaction score
Hey Dan,

Thanx bud. I did the same, but didn't go too wild, not knowin' and all. Damn thing won't budge.

I only have a MAC torx set. You know, throw all the money for it and find out that it's crap. That life time warranty don't do squat if the man don't come by
the new spot.

I'll give her another go with a little more love before I head back to the shop for the snap on, now that I have my confirm.

You gotta love the burn. It's a great site
Warm regards, Mr. Steve

Mr. Steve

Reaction score
Hey Dan,

If you're still out there, I had a question I forgot to mention.
The Idler pully I picked up, is identical to the tensioner pulley.

On the truck, the difference is that there is a metal shouldered sheave on both sides, acting as a belt guard/guide. The rear appears to have a notch in it, so as to clear the tensioner body.

Did the pulley you replaced, come identical to the tensioner pulley, or did it come with the metal guides???

Thanx, Steve

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi Steve,
I didn't buy the idler pully, mine is good, just the tensioner assy is busted, and I'm still waiting for the parts from eBay. But yes, they look exactly as you described. You can take the metal plates and put them on the new pully, it all comes apart when you remove the bolt.
I had to remove the idler pully because it overlaps the belt tensioner assy, as you know.
I couldn't loosen up that bolt without a 2' pipe on the ratchet either, go for it.
Good luck,
Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online