Sensor question

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
So I did some checking and found nothing on the sensor that has the two prongs on it at the back of the t-stat neck on the pass side. I even saw some pix of what was supposed to be the wiring and can not find it.

From what I can tell, the sensor in the driver's side head is the one that controls the high idle right? It is also the one that goes to the gauge. The next one is smaller and is in the block near the front of the head. This one is for a warning light only and has nothing else to do with anything.

What is the one on the pass side though?

SWS

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The 2 prong sensor behind the water neck activates the cold idle advance system on the IP.

The sensor on the drivers side head trips the (you engine is *****'ed light) Overheat indicator.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ron is correct about the senders. The two prong one behind the thermostat housing is the cold idle advance and it drops back to a mormal idle setting when the coolant reaches 120 degrees. Now that large sender on the front of the drivers side head is the overheat sender that tells you just like Ron said... The motor is *****.... It works this way... It closes at 242 degrees and grounds out the dash coolant temp gauge and the check engine lite comes on the dash too. Usually by this time the motor is ruined but I have seen them run fine after this lite has come on. My original motor saw that lite on several times hauling heavy.. Motor never did die either... I may have been lucky....:dunno

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Okay, so the SENSOR for the idiot gauge is the one in front of the head right?

I can only assume the way to test the idle advance is to heat it to 120* and see if the ohms change? Anyone know the range?

SWS

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hi Idle sensor is a normally close contact, opens on rise in temperature. Take a paper clip and bend it so you can short out the connector that goes to it, that should energize the Hi Idle solenoid. If that don't energize it, then either the wiring is defective or the solenoid is. Now if the Hi Idle solenoid energizes when jumping the connector, either the sensor is defective,corroded contacts or or loose connection.

By the way, the solenoid is not strong enough to advance the throttle arm, you have to step on the throttle or advance it by hand. Once advance it is strong enough to hold it in that position until it de-energizes. fer sista.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
It is right behind/under the compressor in front of the head (I think).

SWS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin