Semi Purchase

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have recently become an avid listener of the "Midnight Trucking Network" radio show and heard that used semi tractors can be found for less than $50,000 in good condition.

SO... That got the wheels turning....

Let's say that I have an old F-350 for occasional hauling and a car for a daily driver...

Let's say that I need a truck capable of hauling 10,000 to 15,000 pounds of horse trailer and don't want to deal with Ford, GM, and Dodge trucks that seem to be getting more and more expensive and less and less worthy buying.

Are there any advantages to buying a used "Low-profile" rig for pulling a large horse trailer vs buying a one-ton pickup, new, that costs nearly as much? Seems to me the "low-pro" would laugh at the weight, would get fairly close mileage to a one-ton with the same load, and would be an easier driving rig.

What about costs required to insure the rig? How much to get the CDL?

Seems like a better way to go from a durability and ease of towing standpoint. This would be non-commercial, personal use.

Thank you,

Mike

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size truck are you looking for? Something like a single axle tractor? You would need a class A if your trailers over 10k so you have to think about that too. Do you have any expieriance with trucks either working on or driving? I think a Mack R model cab single axle with maybe a 9 speed over would be pretty good for you. Im not sure how old you want to go though. If I was going to buy a truck for recreational use like that I would get a mechanicaly injected engine. Its easier to work on and a lot cheaper.

Chris

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Check the availability of insurance. It seams to me that guys buying f-550's and up were have a hard time getting insurance for "non commercial" use with a "commercial" truck. Also I think you would have to keep a log book.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I know some companies sell converted semi-tractors as race car trailer haulers/fith wheel haulers. Best I understad, these count like motorhomes and don't require any special drivers license. I know a frinds freightliner motorhome and race car trailer rig (actually longer than most semi's I belive) doesn't require a CDL because its for personal use or something like that.

good luck

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
A lot of farmers, around here, have gone to Class 6-8 trucks, to pull big goosenecks. They handle the load better, plus they still use them to pull hay trailers, grain buckets, and equipment trailers.

One of our old trucks sold last fall, from the custom cutter, who got it from us. It was a 99 Pete 379xhd, 63" Ultracab, 3406E, 18spd, 3.70. It had to be pushing a million miles, and it still brought $34,500, at auction.

The other side is, you could buy a cabover GMC single axle, with M-11, 9spd, from Frito-Lay, when they rolled the fleet, for $3-5000. One independent shop, here in Oz bought 6, and sold them to farmers and such. He kept one of them, and uses it to pull his dual tandem trailer. Even on 22.5 low-pro, it still sits a little high, with the goosneck to kingpin conversion.

He was pulling that trailer with an F-250, 460 4spd. He says there is no comparison, and the M-11 makes better mileage than the 460 did.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Ya, but....It's a Mack. No offense to anyone, but a Mack is a Mack is a Mack.

Around here, having a Mack is not an advantage. The nearest Mack dealer is over 75 miles away.

WD40

Reaction score
PackRat said:
Ya, but....It's a Mack. No offense to anyone, but a Mack is a Mack is a Mack.

Around here, having a Mack is not an advantage. The nearest Mack dealer is over 75 miles away.
And PackRat, it will always be a Mack. Remember you will pay more for the name Peterbilt and Kenworth. look for a Freightliner or a Volvo. Volvo have a real low resale value, but I put 600,000+ on one and it still didn't use any oil on a 30,000 mile oil change. It had a Cummins 350hp in it with a 10 speed. Pulling 40 to 48,000 always got about 6.9 MPG. Pulling pups it would drop down to 6.3 MPG. and the old gal did ride good.
Lots of luck on finding what you are looking for. You would need to check with D.O.T. to see if you need a CDL or not. Be sure you read it in a book and don't ask some state tropper, because they don't know all of the laws. ;Sweet

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I have no idea of any of the details I'm looking for in a truck, although I like the thought of staying with something mechanically injected. 10 speeds should be fine--I want to keep the thing as simple as I can, seeing as how I'm not a professional driver and never have been.

Have considered it... but reality is that my wife would leave me if I ever did what her daddy did for a living some years ago... :rotflmao

I just don't see paying $40,000+ for a new pickup when something used for the same price or less will handle the load better. One of the guys on my horse racing circuit pulls with a low-pro rig, so I'll ask him to show it to me next time I see him. It is a nice setup.

I'm just thinking along the lines of getting something that pulls better than a pickup, with a bigger safety margin. I'm not enthusiastic about the 7mpg... that may end up being the thing that keeps me in a pickup. I'm getting 12-14 towing with my '91 F-350 right now. The thing won't be a daily driver by any means, though, so I'll have to consider the tradeoffs...

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
At auction last year, saw a nice 80's Mack COE with 300/9 spd go for $3500. Single axle, really clean, straight, well maintained. Perfect for stuff like this.

Good stuff can be found. Have to look in the right places, and be at the right place,right time.

My '59 B model gets the job done quite well and gets near 9 mpg doing it. Granted it's not a Cadillac, but for playtime it's fine.

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting 12-14 towing with my '91 F-350 right now.

Then you better stay with the pickup, a class 8 which is what that Mack is will NEVER get 12 let alone 14, of course it will out pull the pickup but it will not be as comfortable as the pickup either.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Just to clarify, so I don't offend anyone....

Freightrain's B-model is an awesome old ride. I figure you are looking for something a little newer.

I'd love to restore an old long nose GMC. Unfortunately, I already have too many projects. For the right truck, I'd do some corporate restructuring. :Sly

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maniac said:
Then you better stay with the pickup, a class 8 which is what that Mack is will NEVER get 12 let alone 14, of course it will out pull the pickup but it will not be as comfortable as the pickup either.

Well, it all depends. Cost:benefit analysis. I don't need a pickup for everyday driving. I have major, major heartburn with paying $40,000 for a pickup when the prices are artificially high due to (1) greed and (2) what the market will bear. Especially if a bigger truck will do the job better. If that larger truck can be insured at a reasonable rate based on low miles per year and occasional use, and if fuel isn't too bad, then I don't mind the occasional fuel expense considering that the rest of the truck would be paid for. Pickups have gotten too expensive for what they are. Nobody (well only a few folks) buy a dually/crewcab to drive to work everyday with no load on the back.

Why not get a better tool to do the towing job?

Seems to me that I should consider the lightest-duty, used, big truck I can get that will do the job. If I could find something for $15k or less that is mechanically in a position that won't require me to spend gobs of money to get it up to *****, then that may be the way to go.

Mike

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Seems to me that I should consider the lightest-duty, used, big truck I can get that will do the job. If I could find something for $15k or less that is mechanically in a position that won't require me to spend gobs of money to get it up to *****, then that may be the way to go.

Mike

I dont understand why you dont take 15K and go find a very clean used PSD or Cummins and be done with it Mike? Seems to me like you are trying to reinvent the wheel here. cookoo

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heheeheh. I dunno... I see your point... but there's something to be said for a puller vs a pickup that delivers pickup performance and durability...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online