Seat replacement questions

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
I just got the truck and I don't like the bench seat that came in it at all. It's not the factory seat, it's a bench out of something else. It has little support, the back is split like 50/50 for access to the rear seats and the seat belt retractor doesn't work like it should (guess not a seat issue but still frustrating)...so I'm on a mission for something else in there. I'm fairly new to all you guys, so let me start by saying that I do all of my projects on a budget, so I'm thinking I could probably swing $100 out of the wife and my tightly locked wallet, but probably no more. So I'm looking for something that's going to be more comfortable than these seats (heck, the base model seats from my 98 f150 were more comfortable), needs to be in good shape, has to still provide access to the rear seats, and I'd love to have something with a console...can be captains chairs, bench, etc as long as it fits the bill. With that said I've seen people mention they have put a number of seats in from Superduty's and heck even thought I saw a Thunderbird seat on here.

So first off since I can shop from my computer I checked out Craigslist and found a couple cheap seats (actually free with pickup) that I thought I'd ask about. They were both from Honda's, the first was a Civic came with rails and was in good shape, the second was a CRX came with rails and had a rip in the drivers side. So first question is would I be able to mount them in my truck without a welder or being a major PITA?

If not, anyone know of or have any cheap seat replacements that would fit what I'm looking for? Even a suggestion would help (don't know how much JY's usually ask out of seats from Superduty's or the like). Is mounting another seat (such as the Superduty) just a matter of drilling new holes in the floor and bolting in, or is there more?

I'm about an hour north of Columbus and if you're going to the Eastern Rally I could probably make it down there to pick something up or maybe to get some help installing, if you're cookoo enough to help :D

PS. on another note, if anyone knows a fix for those seatbelt retractors I'd be indebted to you :angel:

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With some metal and a welder you can just about make any seat work but the safty of the things would be my concern. It is best if you mount into the mounting holes that are in the truck they are re-enforced areas in the floor to handle crash force conditions. Just my two cents worth

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
with some metal and a welder you can just about make any seat work but the safty of the things would be my concern.
That's the thing, with a welder I'm sure I could make something work...but I don't have a welder :mad: So I'm looking for something that would be a pretty straight-forward easy thing, but definitely more supportive

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check your local junk yards you might luck up on one pretty cheap. someone here may have a parts truck with one in it that they might part with.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most 80 to 97 F series will have a seat you can put in there that will just bolt in. Junkyard is probably your best bet. On occasion, guys here including myself have had seats to give away, but I'm not aware of any offered up right now, and they usually are too far away from whereever you are anywho.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Most 80 to 97 F series will have a seat you can put in there that will just bolt in. Junkyard is probably your best bet.
My understanding was there was a change in the flooring between different cab configurations. So obviously ext. cab would work for me, but any other cab configuration? Any limitation on what type of seat so long as I get the rails (meaning captains, split console, etc)?

Also, how much would be a reasonable price for a decent set of seats from a newer F-series (guessing 92-97 or whatever had better seats)?

I've been to car-part.com before and it's a good site.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding was there was a change in the flooring between different cab configurations. So obviously ext. cab would work for me, but any other cab configuration? Any limitation on what type of seat so long as I get the rails (meaning captains, split console, etc)?

Also, how much would be a reasonable price for a decent set of seats from a newer F-series (guessing 92-97 or whatever had better seats)?

I've been to car-part.com before and it's a good site.

For a bench seat a decent price for a good cloth or leather seat is around $150 - $300, for captains chairs and a console $300 - $500. Generally you can expect to have tears and cigarette burns in the cheap seats.