Search function failed me. Oil and Coolant threads.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I have seen a decent sized thread about what oil to run. I tried to search but I can't seem to find it. I do know that this thread came about around the time CI-4 ratings went to CJ-4 ratings. I want to read through this again, as I am in need of an oil change.

I also know that a good thread about what coolants people run and like is floating around some where too. I want to go through this one more time also.

Big thanks to those that can provide the links.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I want a picture of where these infamous block drains are. If anyone has them. *cough* OldBull8 *cough*

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those were both good reads. I know a thread or two still exists covering the oil which is my main concern.

From what I can gather CI-4 was meant for use with LSD while CJ-4 was intended for ULSD. I am leaning towards running a CI-4 oil beacuse when I get my fuge running I will be spinning a mixture that may contain sulfo-chlorinated oil, thus affecting the PPM sulfur content of my fuel.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, is there more than one drain on the passenger side? my pass side plug is at the back of the block not the front like your's is.

Not that I can see/remember. Here is a photo of the block's passenger's side before I installed the drain. There is a NPT pipe plug in the drain opening in the photo. It sits just infront of the dipstick and block heater.
You must be registered for see images

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
How about the driver side? Sorry im being such a pain, just want good pics before I tackle this. Maybe not so close up.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I solved my oil dilemma. I am going to run CI-4 rated 15w-40 Cen-Pe-Co. I just talked to my local rep and he quoted me $142 for a case. 1 case=8 gallons=4.4375/ quart. They also sell CJ-4 rated for exactly $.50 more per quart.

I will pick up a case this weekend and report back.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as oil preference, it's as personal as what type of beer you like, big butt or small butt on a girl, rap vs. country music.....

Here is what BlackStone labs has to say on the subject of which oil is best:
It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.

OK, here is a shot of the Driver's side before the drain valve was installed. There is a NPT pipe plug in the block toward the rear just behind the last freeze plug.

Same area, just a bit closer, with the drain valve installed.

Hope that helps.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In the second to last picture above you will see two square plugs. One is on the rear bellhousing flange and the other is just besides the motor mount plate. Those are the main oil galley ports. Theres actually another plug behind the motor mount plate. These are there for the oil supply to air compressers on the big rig trucks these engines are sometimes found in... Nice pics Heath.. I like a clear pic showing the subject matter. Nothing worse than a blurry pic asking for help....