screwed up

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Okay, the engine in my truck blew up, located another one for 700 bucks, bought it, took to car wash next day, cleaned it, well i'll be, now that I can make out the sticker it is a 6.9 not a 7.3 like he said. It didn't click at the time but it has spade connectors on the GPs not bullet style. Damn. Called guy back, said he would call me back when he gets home, we'll figure something out. Okay, still hasn't called me, probably doesn't have the money any more, will call him tonight. I know, I know, I'm stupid for not having cleaned that sucker off but it was getting late and I was out in the middle of nowhere. The guy seemed knowledgeable and the van was an '88 so I thought I was in the clear. :idiot:

three choices assuming I don't get my money back

1. install 6.9 and live with it -not preferred at all:(

try to recoup as much as I can selling said 6.9 and

2. go to MS and make fat cash borrowing my brothers chevy half ton for a month or two then put in a 2nd gen cummins or powerstroke -preferred choice at this point ;Sweet

3. try to find a 7.3 or wait and buy a rebuilt one -neutral on this one

Opinions appreciated, I think I am starting to lean away from used engines as the last two I bought were nothing but junk.

Am I being a ***** wanting a 7.3 instead of 6.9? Honestly my truck is great but I really would like some sweet towing power, I'm not interested in hotrodding it or pulling contests or out running ricers. If I stay with the IDI does a turbo make a huge difference in actual seat of the pants towing performance? I looked at DPS and it it looks like it would cost the same to put in a cummins as it would to build a peak performance IDI. Now I'm rambling. Well just give me some advice guys.

Haven't pulled the bad engine apart yet because it still moves under its own power, albeit painfully.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
The 6.9 and 7.3 naturally aspirated engines are very compareable. The 6.9 seems to be a little heavier duty since the 7.3 is just a bored out 6.9 (hence less worry about cavitation with the 6.9).

The extra displacement of the 7.3 dont mean much, put the 6.9 in her!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I'd just swap the head gaskets, maybe some studs, and run the heck outta it.
I'm very impressed with the 6.9 in my 85. I can't see why peeps say it's a slouch. Mine gits up and boogies.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I'd drop in the 6.9 as is un touched, and then figure out what you're going to do later. Since you're in a hurry.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I would also drop in the 6.9, but there is a guy in the marktplace that has a cummins, tranny, and adapters for a ford truck. He wants 3k firm.

look in the marketplace forum. I was thinking about doing this also, but my engine works and yours doesn't. You're probably a little more serious about it than me.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yea,Spend $370 more and get the ARP studs and Felpro gasket(or lil over 440 with Kens much stronger studs),swap out the glow plug system for the one on your dead motor and hit the road.The 7.3L and 6.9 are the exact same engine!Just the 7.3 has .100 larger holes,1/16th inch larger head bolts unless you got a 83 model then you got a one year wonder.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
The 6.9 is a good lil engine the 7.3 is a lil stronger but to go nuts over having a 7.3 VS a 6.9 isn't that big of as deal. I have pulled as much with a 6.9 as I have with a 7.3 . Yes a little slower but not a lot slower. Plus if you get running with the 6.9 you can get a 7.3 rebuiild it how you want it then swam and sell the 6.9. "Get er dun" Mr Bill

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Have you checked the head bolt size to be sure you actually have a 6.9. Someone could have just installed the wrong gps in it.

on edit***
Just re-read your post, I missed where the sticker says 6.9 also... So it prolly is. But might be worth checking...

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
A turbo made a VERY noticable seat of the pants difference--particularly when pulling and when in the mountains. I think my old Banks went on either the 6.9 or a 7.3.

I'd dance with what you have and add a turbo if you can.

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Okay guys I'll stop whining now and get down to business. Tried calling the guy last night and didn't get an answer or returned phone call, so much for the 30 day guarantee. I'm satisfied now so if I could just get my wife to shut up about it (she's driving me crazy!). She just wanted me to abandon my precious truck and use my brother's. I told her I was fine leaving her and the kids behind for three months but HAD to have my truck with me. She said she just didn't understand. I ordered a few gaskets for a 7.3 (oil cooler, oil pan, rear main seal) and was wondering will they work on the 6.9? On the oil cooler rebuild, does this also include the rubber seals between the tube and the elbows? I think all I got were the gaskets since they were only five bucks (haven't picked them up yet). Methinks I will call oldmrbill so I can order them this morning. Swap scheduled for tomorrow. Thanks guys

P.S. Talked to the wife about cummins conv. and she laid the SMACK DOWN on that idea.

rip van sparky

Reaction score
I know. I talked to old mr bill for awhile yeterday, I think that I will be pretty happy if I just put a turbo on the 'ol 6.9. I think I'll investigate rebuilding my 7.3 also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online