Screen for intake manifold

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ Not too bad a price.
But I would make one before buying one. If I even did that.

Good deal man.
If you want info on it, I can give some.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

wallbrad

i be a injuneer....
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, ToughOldFord. I think that was a good answer to my query and for the original poster. I had done a part search on that part number before (as copied from the Oil Burner's Parts Bin), but when I got that link at FordPartsGiant.com, the web page said "shield". I guess that could be as appropriate a part name as "air intake debris screen". Since they don't have a picture, I'll try calling them tomorrow to see if they can physically look at the part or send me a picture to confirm it's the right thing.

OK, well, back to my thread hijacking....

if that part is good (...we'll see), then I still need the air cleaner top, which it looks like 79Jasper might have if we are both speaking the same language after trading details. Now I need to find something to attach the intake hose to so I can suck air from out front of the engine. I'd prefer an OEM part. Anyone have one of those (OEM cowlings) lying around from a turbo conversion that they don't need? I'm referring to the plastic scoop-like housing that extends up over the driver's side battery to suck air from up front and it attaches to the stock hose. I've got the hose, but the PO did something funky to the cowling and cut it all up into a weird piece that's unusable. I did see some pictures on here of a (stock?) plastic cowling sucking air from the space between the battery and the radiator. (I rather like that one better than the over-the-battery one.) Someone else, I noted, had also replicated that cowling with sheet metal from a home heating duct, but I'm trying to stay stock.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Man, ya gots to have faith:

You must be registered for see images attach

As to the ducting between the battery and radiator, the stock one you are speaking of is the early version. I don't know when they switched over to the over the battery design, but all of the 6.9s I've had had the early design.

Thanks for the link, ToughOldFord. I think that was a good answer to my query and for the original poster. I had done a part search on that part number before (as copied from the Oil Burner's Parts Bin), but when I got that link at FordPartsGiant.com, the web page said "shield". I guess that could be as appropriate a part name as "air intake debris screen". Since they don't have a picture, I'll try calling them tomorrow to see if they can physically look at the part or send me a picture to confirm it's the right thing.

OK, well, back to my thread hijacking....

if that part is good (...we'll see), then I still need the air cleaner top, which it looks like 79Jasper might have if we are both speaking the same language after trading details. Now I need to find something to attach the intake hose to so I can suck air from out front of the engine. I'd prefer an OEM part. Anyone have one of those (OEM cowlings) lying around from a turbo conversion that they don't need? I'm referring to the plastic scoop-like housing that extends up over the driver's side battery to suck air from up front and it attaches to the stock hose. I've got the hose, but the PO did something funky to the cowling and cut it all up into a weird piece that's unusable. I did see some pictures on here of a (stock?) plastic cowling sucking air from the space between the battery and the radiator. (I rather like that one better than the over-the-battery one.) Someone else, I noted, had also replicated that cowling with sheet metal from a home heating duct, but I'm trying to stay stock.

wallbrad

i be a injuneer....
Reaction score
Thanks for all the links and info on the intake screen!

OK. Continuing the thread hijacking....the "funky" cast aluminum Banks top I have is that "Banks Power Pack" top you linked to. Interesting discussion in that (http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sho...w-pics-NA-7-3L) thread about installing one as a "performance improvement". From a fluid dynamics standpoint, I don't see it. Somehow, I'd have a hard time from an air flow perspective seeing how the Banks top would fundamentally perform differently than the standard "soup bowl" that is stock with the engine. Both would cause the air inflow stream to swirl around the inside of the air filter into the intake manifold in essentially the same way, so the only difference between the two tops' performance would have to come down to small differences into dimensions and, perhaps, differences between the surface roughnesses of the casting and the smooth, painted soup bowl. I guess I'd want to see some apples-to-apples test results to believe that there was much difference.

Hmmm, does anyone know, was the "soup bowl" always on the 6.9 and 7.3 IDIs? If not, maybe IH/Ford decided to incorporate the Banks soup bowl in a far cheaper way to make one. (This sounds like a configuration history question for the team historians here.)

While I do love a mystery (...that relentless engineering curiosity), I (oops...EDIT: don't) want the Banks Power Pack top I have and would rather just have a stock top for ease of air cleaner removal--that damn casting is heavy!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Man, I keep forgetting to pm you.

I think the design was to cone the air in.
I noticed less smoke when I cut the soup bowl out.

Seems to have been random when they used them.
Going through the years, some had them, some didn't.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
The soup bowl is sort of a mystery. Some IDIs have it, the ones that don't have a restrictor in the bottom cutting the intake size to almost half.
There's been speculation, "the tucks have the soupbowl, the vans have the restrictor." And "the 6.9s had the restrictor, the 7.3s had the soup bowl." But that's all wrong, my '84 6.9 had the soup bowl, my '85 6.9 had the restrictor, my '92 7.3 had the soupbowl, all pickups.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have the whole air cleaner.

I don't have any extra screens, but could maybe get you one.

wallbrad

i be a injuneer....
Reaction score
79Jasper:

OK. I'm game. PM me your address and we can do an even trade if you like. You send me that top and hold-down stud, and I'll send you out the Banks "Power Pack" lid I've got. Looks like your top could use a good wire brush and coat of paint, but that would suit me fine. You can have fun with the Banks lid or sell it on fleabay for a healthy profit, as you wish!!

-Brad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online