Screen for intake manifold

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've never had one.
One engine it was torn up, so I chunked it.

Bet you could make one.

Come to think of it, all idit engines I've seen in person, didn't have one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
They really are not necessary to a running na or turbo engine. My na 89 engine has one but I wonder why. I'm guessing anything that fits thru the screen size is concidered harmless to the engine... Well I have to raise the BS flag on that thought...:bs

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When my turbo went, the compressor wheel blades went flying down into the intake. That screen saved my engine...

I'm not talking little bits of shavings, I'm talking darn near complete blades laying on that screen. It isnt going to hinder performance, fuel mileage, etc, etc, etc...but it is just that little bit of insurance that you would wish you had, if you actually needed it (like mine).

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought the screen was there more to protect you fro dropping bolts, sockets, etc into the intake manifold, but Justin makes a VERY good point IMHO.

I've been lucky, and both of the IDI's I've owned have had perfectly intact screens, but they're not necessary, strictly speaking...but, as Justin's story illustrates, if you can get one, you're better off...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If our engines were revving to 8 or 10 thousand rpm I'm sure some air restriction would be happening but. We turn a slow 3500 rpm at best. Some like me rarely ever turn past 2800 rpm.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Mine has caught a bolt before. I about had a heart attack when i saw it falling. When it landed on that screen I was overjoyed, lol.

I would just find some stout screen material and make my own if I were you.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my turbo went, the compressor wheel blades went flying down into the intake. That screen saved my engine...

I'm not talking little bits of shavings, I'm talking darn near complete blades laying on that screen. It isnt going to hinder performance, fuel mileage, etc, etc, etc...but it is just that little bit of insurance that you would wish you had, if you actually needed it (like mine).

When and how did your turbo grenade? isn't that ATS unit fairly new?

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I'm guessing anything that fits thru the screen size is considered harmless to the engine... Well I have to raise the BS flag on that thought...:bs

Sounds like the oil "filter screen" on my aircooled VW, Gary. Anything that large dropping from the engine internals .... yeah, right.

You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I always wondered why those screen existed, probably more for the dealership mechanics than anything else. They only separate the canaries from the
chicken heads.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When and how did your turbo grenade? isn't that ATS unit fairly new?

When I first put the turbo on, I plumbed the oil feed from the bottom of the block, and didnt clean it out. Within 500 miles the turbo was toast. Russ has pictures, but a big ole piece of sludge made its way up into the turbo. One day it sounded like there was a siren (turbo spooling up and down at idle), within an hour of that, I couldnt make over 1.5psi of boost. Still had enough of a compressor to make boost at least!

wallbrad

i be a injuneer....
Reaction score
Sorry if this an older thread, folks, but the initial poster's question wasn't really answered by most of the posts, and I've been trying to find one (an intake screen) myself for my (new to me) '89 7.3 idi N/A. Does anyone know where one could be had other than "at a junkyard" or at the stealership? Or, do any of you turboheads who don't need yours want to part with one? Also, I'm willing to trade the weird Banks soupbowl intake top I've got to anyone that wants to part with a stock air cleaner cover (top lid). PM me and we can swap details... Interesting, but I've never seen this particular top cover (an aluminum casting that's hollowed out by design, but is definitely for a traditional round air filter) in anyone's pictures of any NA IDI, and the top wouldn't fit any Banks turbo I've seen, so I don't know where the PO got it.....

Humorous aside, and please don't let this question/thread get hijacked by this story, but.... when I bought my truck, the POs (multiple in the last few years) apparently didn't use the truck a whole lot, and the intake screen was ripped to shreds, covered with filth, and there were even bits of tree debris (acorns and such) sitting on top of it and inside the intake manifold... (Reminds me of an old car I had back in the 80s in Maine that had squirrel take up residence inside the intake housing, chew through the air filter, and "store" all his winter's stash inside the carburetor--MAN was that a surprise when I started it up!) I vacuumed up all the trash (but they had been running it that way!!!!) and threw out the screen. I agree, that this screen could be done without, but it is a nice suspenders to go with the "belt" of the intake cover whenever the cover is out or to prevent said squirrels from more intrusive winter spelunking!!!

As my first post, I have to say that I REALLY appreciate this forum. I have been studying this place and my new toy for the last several months and been having fun with this adventure. I am really impressed at the knowledge of some of the trusted experts here. As a grey-haired engineer, I've got a finely tuned sh@# vs shinola detector, and I can tell by the responses from some of you that you really know your stuff and your engines!

Look forward to offering and receiving much help in the future.
-Brad

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Also, I'm willing to trade the weird Banks soupbowl intake top I've got to anyone that wants to part with a stock air cleaner cover (top lid). PM me and we can swap details... Interesting, but I've never seen this particular top cover (an aluminum casting that's hollowed out by design, but is definitely for a traditional round air filter) in anyone's pictures of any NA IDI, and the top wouldn't fit any Banks turbo I've seen, so I don't know where the PO got it.....

Your on, buddy.
To clarify, you have the banks intake lid, but want a factory one?

If yes, pm me and we'll figure out shipping.

I'll see if I have a screen also.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

wallbrad

i be a injuneer....
Reaction score
Great--Let's trade pictures. I'll take some this weekend of the funky Banks top and post here so someone can solve the mystery for me of what my top goes (went?) to...