SCA test kit NAPA part #4107

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
NAPA only had this kit part #4107, it says its for testing coolant, I read the instructions inside, It performs three tests, nothing showed a test for SCAs. Anyone know if this is the kit we need?, its for my 88. It costs $25.00

Last edited:

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the bottle say motorvac techologies inc? that what mines said i think they give me the wrong stuff

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on what type of SCA you are using. The NAPA strips you have are good for testing SCA 2. SCA 4 (like Fleetguard) will need it's own test strips.

Heath

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
jonathan, I don't recall, I didnt buy it, I wanted to ask all of you as NAPA mentioned they used to have two different kinds of coolant test kits and this one did not mention SCAs

Thanks Heath, I guess I need to explain more, I just bought the 88, so I wanted to test and see if the PO had the right amount of SCAs in there, This SCA thing is new to me, I know I need it to prevent cavitation.

So I guess buy this one and if it tests good, then I am done, if not then I should buy a SCA-4 test kit?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your running DCA-4 you need a Fleetguard test strip kit like this.

If your running DCA-2, then you need a FIL 4107 test kit from NAPA.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Got it, thanks Mel, the coolent in there has a nice bright green color to it, I would call it the color I have seen coolant for 40+ years, does Fleetguard look different?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it, thanks Mel, the coolent in there has a nice bright green color to it, I would call it the color I have seen coolant for 40+ years, does Fleetguard look different?

Fleetguard's SCA 4 doesn't change the color of the coolant. Just looking at it won't help I'm afraid.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FleetCHARGE is just like green coolant in function, but is a pink or purpleish color to indicate that it is precharged with DCA-2. Normal green coolant is usually matched up with DCA-4, but there is no rule that says you can't use DCA-2 in it. Basically, if you don't know what SCA was used in it, it's flush and fill time.

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FleetCHARGE is just like green coolant in function, but is a pink or purpleish color to indicate that it is precharged with DCA-2. Normal green coolant is usually matched up with DCA-4, but there is no rule that says you can't use DCA-2 in it. Basically, if you don't know what SCA was used in it, it's flush and fill time.

Oh oh! :eek: FleetCHARGE? From Fleetguard? The same company? Two different types of DCA? :confused:

Is the stuff from Motorcraft, the stuff that comes in a 1/2 pint bottle, DCA-4? :confused::confused:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh oh! :eek: FleetCHARGE? From Fleetguard? The same company? Two different types of DCA? :confused:

Is the stuff from Motorcraft, the stuff that comes in a 1/2 pint bottle, DCA-4? :confused::confused:

FleetGUARD is different than FleetCHARGE. They are two different coolant/SCA options with similar sounding names.

The Motorcraft stuff is DCA 4.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath is correct. No relation between the two. FleetGuard is owned by Cummins. FleetCharge is owned by... well :dunno Fleetcharge as near as I can tell.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I use fleetcharge and I test it with the NAPA strips. The NAPA coolant filters are dca-2 as well right?

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your running DCA-4 you need a Fleetguard test strip kit like this.

The only trouble is finding these kits that aren't out of date. When they get old the color on the bottom pad changes and the reading will be off. There must be fewer of us using these strips and the stock is getting old and suppliers don't want to throw them away and purchase new.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with them buying from Dieselmanor. :dunno

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with them buying from Dieselmanor. :dunno

I'll have to give them a try. I like to call first to get the use by date before I order. With only one truck that I only put about 3,500 miles a year on,My strips go out of date before I use all of them.