running out of fuel

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I need to change the front tank sending unit and want the tank to be empty when I drop it, but I've heard it's really bad to run a diesel out of fuel. Is it really that bad, or can I just run it dry then switch tanks?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
You'll be fine as long as your moving. Try to be quick about switching tanks. Just hope it doesn't run dry while your stopped at a stop light.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Or just get a hand vacuum pump for a few bucks and save yourself some money on fuel.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
run her empty... Might be a pain to get restared but she'll do fine... You can also yank the bed but them bolts will be rusted beyond belief so...

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be stone dry to pull the tank?? Why not just run it real low, then after pulling the tank you can tip the tank and drain the remainder out of the fill nipple. Frankly, the time and trouble running it dry and then dealing with air in the lines isn't worth the benefit of pulling a tank that weighs 10 or 20 pounds less.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way would I intentionally run a tank out of fuel. The last few cups of fuel it picks up is going to have all the crap that has been floating around in your tank for years.

Get it somewhere around 1/8 tank and go ahead and drop it. The few gallons of fuel sloshing around will be inconvenient but it's all part of the job.

TomC

Reaction score
It really is much easier to remove the bed to get to the sending units. The upside is not getting all the dirt and rust in your face. I put a 2X6 in between the middle stake pockets and hoisted the bed off. You can also do it with 4 people.
TomC

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, I think I'll just get the sending unit, and leave it on the front tank during my regular driving till she's dry, and run her on the rear until I get the sending unit changed. So if I run dry when I'm stopped what happens? Do I just need to switch tanks and crank her over until I get fuel back to the motor?
I would pull the bed but I think for me finding 4 able bodies would be more of a pain in the butt than droping the tank. Beside I haven't had a bunch crusty dirt fall in my face in months :)

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The pickup doesn't reach the bottom of the tank. Don't worry about "all that crap"
You'll still have a gallon or so in the tank.
Start spraying the strap bolts with penetrating oil now, and every day, till you do the job.
Also, have your wallet warmed up, when you go to Ford for the sender. They're going to strap ya for a new wiring harness, too.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I droped the front tank with low fuel level with no problems at all, the rear tank too many times with or with out fuel with no worries, I must say front tank is really much easier than the rear tank but I would not move the bed to get to the tanks, nope. I used a impact wrench to get the bolts out but it was to make it faster and the sendig unit you can get at jyards most times, I got myself one of each when I went to get a used tank once all for the price of one ;Sweet .

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
There is no crap floating at the bottom of the tank the fuel pick up is on the bottom it always sucks the fuel from the bottom it makes no difference if the tank is clear full or you run it dry I've changed both of my tanks and they were clean as a whistle in side

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You don't need to pull the front tank to change the sender. Get under there and see that its easy to reach kinda on the side of the tank top. The front tank is very easy to remove conpared to the rear. Running the tank dry can harm the injection pump. The fuel is what lubricates and cools it. Its really a bad idea to try and run it dry. No, you can't just crank it till it fires up. The starter will burn up. Sometimes its easy to purge out the air but most times it a pain. Now it you had an electric lift upmp instead of the block mechanical pump the purging would be much easier but why chance it. Injection upmps are costly but if you feel you need to run it dry just know its not the brightest idea but it will be yours. Good luck and post back for any needed help. Plenty of help waiting for the questions. :D

82fordtruck

Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
There is no crap floating at the bottom of the tank the fuel pick up is on the bottom it always sucks the fuel from the bottom it makes no difference if the tank is clear full or you run it dry I've changed both of my tanks and they were clean as a whistle in side

I was going to say this if no one else did. I agree, no crap on the bottom.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
A bit radical to many of you,but old school and effective.I am fortunate enough to have a rather large old soldering iron that you heat it in a fire or as I do "heat it with my torch". I have in the past need to drain tanks that had water or some kind of contamanitation or repair a leak.I drill a hole in the lowest part of the tank (Small hole 3/16th in or so) let the crap drain and then I clean the area close to the hole -tin it with self tinning solder paste using the iron so as not to have a fire hazard,then put a drop of solder in the hole,again using the iron. Takes 5 minutes at the most to solder the hole.If I need to drain the tank again I redrill the hole,since it is already tinned it re solders very easily.Just make sure your iron is hot but not hot enough to be red in color. My 2 bits cookoo

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
oldmisterbill said:
A bit radical to many of you,but old school and effective.I am fortunate enough to have a rather large old soldering iron that you heat it in a fire or as I do "heat it with my torch". I have in the past need to drain tanks that had water or some kind of contamanitation or repair a leak.I drill a hole in the lowest part of the tank (Small hole 3/16th in or so) let the crap drain and then I clean the area close to the hole -tin it with self tinning solder paste using the iron so as not to have a fire hazard,then put a drop of solder in the hole,again using the iron. Takes 5 minutes at the most to solder the hole.If I need to drain the tank again I redrill the hole,since it is already tinned it re solders very easily.Just make sure your iron is hot but not hot enough to be red in color. My 2 bits cookoo

Hmm.. sounds kinda scary :confused:

Do you let everything drain out of the tank?

About the tank, when i took mine off i had about half a tank left, i thought i had less in there but didn't. A friend and i could carry the tank, it was pretty heavy but we got it done. I just siphoned the rest of the fuel out into a big green bin from walmart once we got it set up on the bench. Only thing floating around in the tank was a destroyed fuel pickup.