....Running light problem....

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a problem with my running lights on the tail end a few days ago, (c-thread) If you like, Now when I get home and try to turn off my lights the dash and both the tail and front running lights still stay on. I disconect the battery and hook it back up and the problem goes away. Do I have a major wiring issue or some sort of wierd short?:dunno Any info would be helpful as I am not the best 12 volt eletrician or speller. THX

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Electrical

At one time, I owned a '73 ford F250 camper special (2wd). I had a similar problem, only my issue happened to be that the lights would NOT turn off no matter what (other than disconnecting battery). What happened is the accessory wire that plugged into the solenoid had gone bad a long time ago and a previous owner being "smart" rewired the system to a secondary wire causing a "permanent on" when the correct wire was hooked up again.

That said, look for something similar. If you don't find anything that fits the bill, we can work from there. It's probably simple, usually is.;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under the dash, between the head-light switch and fuse-block, is a much-too-skinny TAN-colored wire that melts itself out of it's insulation, then melts it's way into whichever wire(s) it is in contact with, thus causing all manner of weird lighting/electrical situations, including burning trucks to the ground. :eek:

That is most likely the culprit.

Whether or no it is the current problem, sooner or later it will be.

Take the fuse-block loose from the floor and access your way into that big taped bundle of wires and you will find that TAN wire.

It is maybe 20-AWG where it should have been at least 10-AWG.

Cut that entire wire out and replace it with a 10-AWG wire.

I had that wire melted entirely out of it's insulation and it melted into a constant-HOT wire, thus I could not turn OFF my parking/marker-lights without dis-connecting the batteries.
:)

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Under the dash, between the head-light switch and fuse-block, is a much-too-skinny TAN-colored wire that melts itself out of it's insulation, then melts it's way into whichever wire(s) it is in contact with, thus causing all manner of weird lighting/electrical situations, including burning trucks to the ground. :eek:

That is most likely the culprit.

Whether or no it is the current problem, sooner or later it will be.

Take the fuse-block loose from the floor and access your way into that big taped bundle of wires and you will find that TAN wire.

It is maybe 20-AWG where it should have been at least 10-AWG.

Cut that entire wire out and replace it with a 10-AWG wire.

I had that wire melted entirely out of it's insulation and it melted into a constant-HOT wire, thus I could not turn OFF my parking/marker-lights without dis-connecting the batteries.
:)

X2, I have owned several trucks with that melted wire, can even melt the plug into the headlight switch.

Bob87

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
berniesouthunt,

Did you get your issue fixed? I'm having the same trouble with my 93.

Thanks