Running cold start advance all the time. Wear out?

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will anything in the injection pump wear out prematurely from running the cold start advance mechanism fulltime?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, no harm will be done. All that does is activate a solenoid which restricts the flow of fuel to return line. It's the same basic solenoid as the one that keeps the spring which shuts the truck off at bay, so keeping it on will not harm it. Let me guess... on for WMO and off for streight diesel? :D

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, no harm will be done. All that does is activate a solenoid which restricts the flow of fuel to return line. It's the same basic solenoid as the one that keeps the spring which shuts the truck off at bay, so keeping it on will not harm it. Let me guess... on for WMO and off for streight diesel? :D

Yup! Thought I'd try it just to see. Thanks!

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HEY, WHAT ADVANTAGE WOULD YOU (OR ARE YOU GETTING) BE GETTING BY RUNNING YOUR IDI WITH THE COLD ADVANCE ON ALL THE TIME????

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever advantages and disadvantages you'd have from putting the timing 2-3 degrees further advanced than it is. Some of these guys think that advancing the timing to compensate for the characteristics of WMO and/or the new ULSD may help performance and fuel mileage in these trucks. Additionally the WMO users are trying to avoid having carbon coking in the injectors and precups. Will this help? I guess we'll have to find out. Marq you might want to turn CAPS LOCK off before somebody thinks you're yelling...welcome!

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, know, I know, . . . okay I'm the new guy. I could use all the help I can get, . . . LOL.

What's this coked thing I keep hearing about?? As you can tell, I am new to all of this. My first Ford, my first Diesel, and my firs forum. I am just glad there is a place guys like me can go, and talk to real humans, and get real issues resolved. I have learned so much from just reading and researching all of the strings on this cite. I want to personally thank everyone for the support, knowledge, and having a place to hang my hat.

I think I have modified my idi so much, I at times get in trouble. In fact, I am working on doing a torque converter lock up switch, and I think I have just completely blown it. I want to crawl back under my truck tonight to see if I can't figure out what I did. Just so everyone knows (in case someone can save me); I attempted to disconnect my electrical harness from the transmission, and broke the connector. It will not snap back on. Now my truck wont hardly move forward when in drive. I have to rev the crap out of it to just move a few feet. I am just glad I only backed up a few feet to start with (it backs up fine by the way). Anyway, I am going to see if I can't fix it, and hopefully I will not have to take the transmission apart to replace both ends of this connection.

I am trying to place a three way switch on my dash, so that in the top position, I am in normal mode. Middle position, turns off the lock up all together; and, bottom mode will lock the converter up until I turn it off. I just have to remember to turn it off before coming to a stop, so I won't stall it.

1990 f-250 4x4 7.3 idi (E4OD); ATS turbo system, K&N intake; Oregon Injector (turbo) injectors; complete return fuel system replacement; stinger exhaust set up (sawsall the **** off under the cab), and sounds so cool, and the turbo really spools up faster. Right now I am trying to replace my accumulator (E4OD aftermarket from Greg Evens), and do this lockk up switch; injector pump is cranked up (just enough to lightly smoke under hard acceleration); and I have had to fix my oil cooler.

When I bought this truck I had never owned a ford, or a diesel, . . . now I am addicted to this darn idi, and truck.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin