running boards for free

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been debating taking off the running boards for a while. After some cruddy photoshop action I think they need to go. Sooooooo if anyone is in the area wants them then all I ask is help pulling them, or if someone that is going to the rally wants them I will leave them on till then and pull them in PA.

You must be registered for see images

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have always like the CC duallys with the diamond plate runners. It does look good without them though.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
It does look good with out them, but I think it would clean it up a lot just to take off the back one.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I really never understood the appeal of running boards, they collect crap on top and below, the fender flaps catch on anything going by, and the lights are forever going out (or the wiring gets ripped out by shrubbery).

My 4x4 had running boards that were flopping all over the place when I got it. I found that the PO had welded the brackets to the frame at some point, broke, then were repaired with - - - speaker wire!cookoo Needless to say, it looks much better without all that stuff hanging around.

If you need to stand outside your truck as it drives around, you need running boards. Otherwise, why bother? And your Photoshop alterations looked just fine.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey just throwing it out there
i have a set for a standard cab ill give away to anyone whos at the rally
but haligen if noone wants them ill take them i have a plan for some diamond plate aluminum but mine are not big enough

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey just throwing it out there
i have a set for a standard cab ill give away to anyone whos at the rally
but haligen if noone wants them ill take them i have a plan for some diamond plate aluminum but mine are not big enough

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really never understood the appeal of running boards, they collect crap on top and below, the fender flaps catch on anything going by, and the lights are forever going out (or the wiring gets ripped out by shrubbery)...If you need to stand outside your truck as it drives around, you need running boards. Otherwise, why bother?
I can think of one good reason. If you're not very tall and have difficulty climbing into the truck, running boards can come in VERY handy. It's not an issue with me except when my back/hip are hurting badly, but my mom could really use something like that for when she gets into my truck...I currently have a step, but if I found a set of running boards for an extended-cab truck at a reasonable price, I may just jump on 'em...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> I LIKE RUNNING BOARDS <<<

I really like running-boards, especially tread-brite ones.

The fault of most is the wimpy bracketry that comes with them and then people's lack of even properly using that.

Forget all those wimpy little hangers and devise good strong ones that are strongly attached to the trucks BODY --- NOT THE FRAME --- and big fat girls can climb all over them with no issues.

On looking at the particular ones shown on the black 4-door truck, there are two minor alterations that could really improve their appearance.

First, the front and rear individual pieces need to be re-worked into one continuous board, with no eyesore gap at the cab/bed juncture.

Second, the perpendicular flange that dictates how low they ride should be shortened considerably, thus bringing the height of the board closer to the bottom edge of the rocker-panels; such a change will make the boards look more like they belong there and complement the overall lines of the truck.

A big DRW truck looks naked without a set of running-boards.

As to the lights/wires situation, any issues there are directly the fault of the owner's lack of attention to detail; if one's running-board lights have issues, then most likely any other wiring on the truck is also having issues.

One BIG advantage of running-boards that many overlook is the protection they provide from road debris that is flung from the tires.

Without them, little rocks soon sand-blast the paint away from the lower six-inches of the body and bigger stuff will even make dings higher up on the sides.

They also prevent road-spray from keeping the sides so filthy. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> RE-HANG THE MIRRORS <<<

That pictures exhibits it so well that I also had to point this out :

Another improvement that will cost nothing and vastly improve your driving experience is to move those mirrors as far forward on the doors as possible.

Whoever at Ford decided on hanging the mirrors in the middle of the door obviously never intended on having to use them themselves. cookoo

Having them thus mounted requires one to physically shift their head backwards in order to obtain the view behind them.

Many years ago, I re-located my mirrors (exactly like the ones pictured) to the forward edge of the doors and that is the first thing I would do to any other truck I might own.

To see behind me, all I need do is shift my eyes. ;Sweet

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the mirrors sucked till i added those little spotters. Still not great but much better then before. I would actually like to put on thos mirrors that connect to the top off the door and are a big rectangle. I think there called western tow mirrors or something.

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those do look pretty good. I wonder if there mounting system is better then my current ones. I'm a stout guy (270ish) and when I stand on the current ones they bend down a good bit. Enough so that I just dont stand on them anymore.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck is a Centurion conversion, so I don't know what make the running boards are, the tag on them is trashed. They are really stout, don't bend down with weight. They are stainless steel, no rust spots yet, it's a 99 PSD.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a stout guy (270ish) and when I stand on the current ones they bend down a good bit. Enough so that I just dont stand on them anymore.

The ones on my truck were weak and flimsy at first.

Then, I fabricated a bunch of "L"-brackets made of 3/16-thick 1-1/2" angle-iron, that extend all the way to the outer edge, located on 12" centers, firmly attached to the rocker-panels.

They are :backoff bull-stout now.

Their presence keeps me from being tempted to use the steering-wheel as an entry-assist. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online