Rsk kit on a 88?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this really help with the ride quality like some say? I learned you can't use superduty springs on mine because the fram length isn't too short up front but it also does a 2.5 inch lift at the same time. It says it needs welded onto the truck though, how much welding is required and degree of difficulty on instal?

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this really help with the ride quality like some say? I learned you can't use superduty springs on mine because the fram length isn't too short up front but it also does a 2.5 inch lift at the same time. It says it needs welded onto the truck though, how much welding is required and degree of difficulty on instal?

You know I was just looking up this info myself a couple hours ago. Thinking of doing a rsk but really dont want any lift. I was thinking about going with 05+ Superduty axles to get a better ride but I just bought new wheels and tires a couple months ago so that's out of the question.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how involved the instal is, it look at sorta straight forward but I also like to see things done, reading the instructions make sense sorta but the pictures they have don't really even show what needs welded like they mention. Is welding maybe just a option in it?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how involved the instal is, it look at sorta straight forward but I also like to see things done, reading the instructions make sense sorta but the pictures they have don't really even show what needs welded like they mention. Is welding maybe just a option in it?

I would assume the welding is required for mounting the "crossmember" to the front where the shackles used to be. My guess would be the bolts are to hold it in place and welding is required to make it solid. I wouldn't want to skip that part on something designed to be welded on. That's an awful lot of force on those bolts. By the nature of these kits adding lift you will have added leverage on the new crossmember as well.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Check out Sky Manufacturing for a pre-crumble zone frame RSK. I'm lookin to sell my 3" kit for the 92+ frames so I can get the other one.

The RSK helps with ride quality because having the shackle on the rear of the leaf spring allows it to move in the same direction as the vehicle's travel. Basically, when the spring compresses, the shackle moves rearward instead of having to fight it's way forward.

Deciding on welding is entirely up to you. Most people do because the majority of kits are made for the 92+ frames that are boxed and would also need the crumple zones reinforced. My plan for my pre-92 frames was to cut frame horns off junkyard trucks and fit them inside the existing frame horns so they could be bolted in to make the boxing, then bolt the kit in.

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pre 92 frame is going to require welding. You can mount an RSK for a 92 up truck on a pre 92 frame. It just requires some work and custom bumper installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sky's make the kit for a rsk on my truck but I think uses the stock springs, it explains on their site that the super duty spring swap works on then 92+ trucks because the frame is longer up front to accept the longer springs. Maybe I should just go to their shop and ask it's like 10 minutes from me lol

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sky's make the kit for a rsk on my truck but I think uses the stock springs, it explains on their site that the super duty spring swap works on then 92+ trucks because the frame is longer up front to accept the longer springs. Maybe I should just go to their shop and ask it's like 10 minutes from me lol

Didn't realize you are an Oregonian:cheers: I'm in the Albany area.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Springfield / Eugene area yes , maybe I could see the kit before I buy it too, I'll probably go next week sometime and see

fyrfghter

Reaction score
I have the sky kit, I did not weld my kit, the design in my head did not make it necessary to do so. Many miles on it so far. It’s pretty straight forward but did not come with any instructions

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I saw the pictures on their website I didn't see any welds on the frame, but on the instructions it mentions welding but I don't do well without pictures on instructions for it

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at it yesterday and all I saw that mentioned welding was the parts that box the frame in. I might have missed something though.

fyrfghter

Reaction score
Yea it’s just the frame box, the bracket gets sandwiched inside of the cross member with 4 grade 8 bolts per side. I didn’t feel the need to weld it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online