RSK and leaf question

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
My 89 f250 is now up and running again. I wanted to start focusing on the suspension. I have a kingpin dana 60 under it along with a tuff country 4 inch lift leafs. The ride it pretty rough so i would like to make it as good as i can get it being a lifted truck. I was reading a little bit on the rsk. They seem to say it helps a great deal in the ride quality. I like the way my truck sits as is and i know the rsk will lift it more. Can i take a leak out of the spring pack to compensate for the rsk. What would be the best leaf to take out? Also what rsk would you recommend thanks

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well being an 89 I am not sure there is an RSK for our year trucks.

Sky does one for 92 up but I not aware of one for our year.

front frame horns are different and not boxed on ours they are on 92 up.

You could fab up your own if you got skills for it and time and tools.

I know it's going to be some fun when I do mine.

As for pulling a leak out of your spring pack I don't think I would.

Try the leafs as they are with an RSK.

If you fab your own RSK you can control the height much better too!

JM2CW

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
from what i read the difference is the front horn are not boxed in on the older trucks. The bracket in the kit bolts to the inside and outside of the frame. Anyone have any pics of them boxing in the front horn there?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
actually have another ? anyone that has boxed the front frame horn in and installed the sky shackle kit. can you measure how far forward the bracket mounts? I have added a hitch to my front and is welded all the way forward in between the holes where the bumper mounts. I want to make sure before i order the kit that i can box the front horn in and still install the bracket with my hitch bar there. Thanks

can i still hit the shackle bracket behind the hitch?

You must be registered for see images attach

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
is it just me or did a bunch of posts get deleted. all i see are Al's and 3 posts from alien.......i looked once and i commented as did like three others.....

anyways. pretty sure pmf offers and RSK that has a hitch built in. your hitch is sitting exactly were the rsk would sit.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Ya posts keep disappearing. Do the front leaf mounts mount onthe same spot as the old ones as far as how far farward. If so then i think i might be ok. My hitch tubing sits in front of the mounts that are riveted to the frame

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I can't speak about the frame differences, but I did the RSK on my 97 F350, using the stock springs, and I can say the ride quality didn't change much. From what I understand it's the SD springs that really make the difference. Hope this helps.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i would run the SD springs and the 3" RSK but im afraid because with the SD springs they are longer and you need to push the RSK forward and it will hit my hitch.. i wish someone has some measurements.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I would work your hitch around the rsk or incorporate it. Doing the rsk on a brick nose is kind of a ***** anyway but well worth it. I would do the sd spring rsk regardless and work everything around that. Oru has a brick nose kit. I've only done it the hard way but it might be better to use the pmf or sky kit for sd springs so that the bracket will sit further back. The older unboxed horns are shorter too. If you still have questions I have a 90 f350 with the sky kit and a obs with sky kit and sd springs so I can take any measurements you need. Unless you are trying to go pretty big 4" springs with the rsk will be a lot.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I have a brick nose and i have been looking at a RSK and SD spring swap pretty hard. If you look at ORU web site photos, your see the difference between OBS and brick nose kit is some pieces they provide to weld in and box the frame. So my plan is to get a PMF kit for SD springs and do my own "box". The reference point (the original shackle bolt hole is the same so the rest is just weld and fab.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
for an extra $50 you can get your RSK with a built in receiver hitch from PMF. IMO, trying to re-engineer the system just to save $50 is not worth the time/trouble, just take your out, get the PMF one and be done with it.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
So i cant get the sky kit and use sd springs? Theere are different kits for sd and regular springs? Some measurements would be great. Pics would be even better. My hitch is welded in and its not going anywhere.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try again I just googled pmf suspension and it came right up. It will be pretty hard to see exactly what I did on my trucks because of the way the bumpers incorporate. I'll get pics in a little bit. I pretty much rebuilt the whole frame horn to work with my existing bumper and be extra strong to support my warn 16.5 ti (crazy power). Both of mine are with the regular sky kit so you can use them sd or not. The conversion kit ones are better because they bolt on further back and the spring bolt on part kinda boomerang shape juts out for the extra length. Sd springs are 3.5" longer in front (iirc) and the same behind the axle. For all the work it took, not going sd springs was stupid in retrospect. Obs on the other hand is easy. What measurements do you need?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online