Rough Idle with puffs of white smoke

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 93 f350 7.3 w factory turbo, my truck recently started blowing white smoke and what sounds to be missing a little when engine is cold to slightly warm. The truck starts just fine weather it be 0F or 50F. Once when it starts it coughs for over a minute and puffs white smoke, Even after driving it and letting it idle it will miss and puff white smoke just not nearly as much as it is when i first start it, I checked my timing advance solenoid and that seems to be working properly. I jumped it out when the engine was warm and could here a change in the motor, This problem doesnt matter if the engine is cold or warm. I checked the fuel pressure with the idle advance solenoid energized and at the schrader valve was about 5 psi. The first thing i did was change the fuel filter. I also refilled my tank and put a bunch of fuel additive in it in hopes i have some bad fuel. My truck has never given me this issue before. When the truck sits over night it still starts right up.sorry for the long post just wanted to try an explain everything in as much detail as possible.

Thanks For Any Advice You Might Have

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forum.... Now, I understand that you had 5 pounds of fuel pressure at the scrader valve located at the flter. It should be reading 7-9 pounds there. Also understand that you have noticed a miss.

Do you still have the mechcanical pump or have you switched to the eletric pump that alot us have swapped to. If you haven't I would suggest that you incorporate one. Members have experienced the mec. pump rupturing and allowing fuel into the crankcase ruining the lower have of the engine. Check the tech section for the write up....

If you do decide to stay with the mec. pump, DO NOT USE THE AIRTEX PUMP, they are cheapo's....

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time your injectors and ip was replaced?

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have the mechanical pump installed. I read on here about the off brand pump and also about them rupturing. I checked my oil and it is at normal level. My ip and injectors are still original. The vehicle has 174000, other than the miss it runs great. Would you recommend replacing the pump to start out with. Im sure its time for new injectors but I would rather wait a little while for better weather and more funds. Are the factory mechanical pumps known for slowly failing.

troy_caleb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100,000 miles is the recommended time for replacement of the ip...not sure about the injectors but i think it's the same...however if you replace the ip first and everything seems fine then you will know it was the pump...if you get injectors i would recommend getting them new not reman., and have them pop tested, might save yourself some headaches...i had a friend do everything backwards...new injectors in front of an old pump...ended up replacing the pump too after fiddling around with the fuel system for a week....

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the fuel system definitely needs refreshed. Would be better to do both ip and injectors at the same time but you do what you have to do.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
5 psi is fine at the schrader kinda sounds like injectors to me, pull the filter, fill it with your fav treatment and start it up for about 15 sec, then kill it and let it sit over night, if that dont work then its time to pull injectors and have them tested

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 psi is fine at the schrader kinda sounds like injectors to me, pull the filter, fill it with your fav treatment and start it up for about 15 sec, then kill it and let it sit over night, if that dont work then its time to pull injectors and have them tested
_
I will do just that. Ill use sea foam.