Rockauto Main Battery Cable vs making your own

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My main battery cable has seen better days.. so its time to replace it. After going to Lordco here and seeing a price of 250$ for the factory cable I looked at pricing out making my own, but other than going the questionable welding cable, most auto parts stores around me don't carry the size of cable I need. So I figured I'd take a look at rockauto.com. They have this available for about $150ish once it gets to my door here in Bring Cash Canada.

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # A11600HP

So I have looked through the forums here and it looks like the cable pretty much bolts in, and if it doesn't and its a little off, I can deal with it. The question I have is whats the quality like and how was the experience dealing with rockauto?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had no issues dealing with rock auto.

I picked up a factory motor craft cable off rock auto for my truck. I was doing a 92-97 clip so that's the cable I ended up buying. Not sure if it would work on your 85. I know most guys will tell you to just make a cable using welding cable, but for me it was easier and cheaper to just purchase a cable.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard both views on the welding cable, some say it won't hold up to oil leaks as well or life in an engine bay with all the temperature changes etc. Others say its no different.

In my case I have no issues making my own cable, but why work when I get the same thing already made for about the same price if not cheaper?

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well judging by the crickets, there shouldn't be any issues.. so I will just go ahead and order this cable then. I'll let you know how it goes!

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa made all of my cables for 185 dollars and they used 4/0 wire I'm also run group 31 battery with stud tops

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
What does rockauto sell for that price?

Is it actually the full cable that goes from the starter, all the way up to ground on the block, then up to passenger side battery and solenoid, and over to drivers side battery with all the associated clamps and such to bolt it all right in?

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I had and 0awg 60" both ends put on, and 4-12" 8awg at post for acc. $32 and he did while I stood there. Not much help for you up there by the time it ships, it would be close to the same price.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to a search on the part number, its the whole cable, going between both batteries with all the connectors just like the factory one.

I looked at the custom cables site, and it looks like they are in AZ, but I can check into their pricing as well as it looks like you can opt for some heavier cables in place of the 2/0 which seems factory.

I'll check out my local napa here as well, maybe they have something heavier than 1 gage.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welding cable on my truck lasted over a year and all the insulation started getting loose, sloppy and looked like it was gonna just fall off.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welding cable on my truck lasted over a year and all the insulation started getting loose, sloppy and looked like it was gonna just fall off.

Do you know what make of cable? There is probably a difference between a quality Belden vs Horrible Freight (or Princess Auto in Canada)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Us Canadians usually need to have some sort of regrowing left nut as we have to cut one off nearly every time we pay for parts....I've lost a few L nutz over the years. It's why I now shop US side when I can...hurts much less!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto... I live 65 km to my ship to the border address. That has been working great! Wish I had started doing that years ago.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option might be a tractor/implement shop if there are any in the area. I used to help out a friend with a tractor shop and we made all the cables in any size wire needed with any length and lugs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online