Road Trips

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yuma? I've heard that called the "A**hole of Arizona". That was just from one guy and I have no idea if there's anything to it.

I wouldn't know. So far, I have only gone to the far eastern end of Yuma called Fortuna Foothills. It's ok from what I have seen. Excellent variety of stores, several cheap places for propane, good coin laundry. The people seem nice enough too.

I will have to venture into Yuma proper soon because my utility trailer's upper frame at the front is rusted out and is coming apart, making the box rock. (The angle iron frame has come apart from the tongue's V frame on the RH side, the box has come loose on the LH side; so I need to do fiberglass repair also).

I found someone who's staying out here at the LTVA who can weld and isn't gonna charge "shop rates" to fix it for me since he's not out here as a welding business. He said he has repaired trailers specifically too so that's a plus. He's right near by and I have talked to him in the past a bit since my dog likes to visit him and his big dogs. I found out he can weld by just asking "Do you know anyone around here who can weld?".

I will have to go to Lowes or Home Depot to pick up the angle iron in Yuma. But first I need to empty it out and get the floor removed so we can have a look at it and see how much damage is done, and how much angle iron it needs. I'll probably have him add extra reinforcement too in a few places. I have a 2 room shower tent that I'll use as a storage shed for the trailer's contents, which are weather resistant plastic totes. Except the scooter of course, but I can throw a big tarp I have over that and put it inside a screenhouse I just bought.

I ordered a coupler lock to help discourage towaway left, so I can drop the trailer and leave it out here when I go to town. I'm parked by someone who will keep an eye on it for me too when she's here. It's insured as part of my RV policy, so I'm not too worried about it. I'll have to put the trailer down at the guy's camp for the repairs since his high dollar dual axle enclosed trailer (probably a $5k+ trailer) with his welder and all related tools are down there and he's not gonna haul them down here for next to nothing in labor charges. Fair enough. I wouldn't expect him to trust all his valuables and high dollar trailer down here. I highly doubt he has any interest in stealing my crappy old trailer, considering his expensive RV trailer and cargo trailer setup with 2 trucks. (I think he drives one and his wife drives the other)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I saw someone here at this LTVA today with a brick nose IDI (green cab as I recall) with a black service type bed on it with a newer (late 90s+) slide in camper. Might have been a 4x4 since it has oversized AT(?) tires. No pic though, I was walking my dog and didn't have my phone on me. I assume it was an IDI anyway, since it sounded diesel and it wasn't OBS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online