RIP to a good idi...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats the truth above.. There is a trick to braking without the power assist. Keep steady pressure on the brake peddle and it will push down but... It takes some pressure. It will stop the rig. It just isn't stopping it right now like when it has power assist.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Man, I know it sucks loosing power assist, but you guys these days are a bunch of creame puffs ! Assist is just that, you need to learn to handle the rig without it.
...You will feel like you are stuffing yer foot through the floor and your back is going to tear the seat off the floor, but it WILL stop, you have the same brakes you've always had, you just dont have the pansy pan up behind the master cylinder doing all the pushing for you.

Well, I will say it's one thing not to be a pansy when you're EXPECTING no power assist and another when it happens unexpectedly, which is usually how it happens on these trucks. I was half-awake and leisurely doing 62 (top speed LOL) on I-65 when my belts went. Only warning I got was the BRAKE dummy light coming on and the C6 downshifting into 2nd (which at 3200-3300, will get your attention!). I was lucky that I had an uphill exit just a few hundred feet ahead or I might not be here posting this now...it took all my strength to stop, as my measly 155lb weight wasn't nearly enough. Some of you bigguns might have an easier time if/when it happens to you, but hope it never does...

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I have had the power brakes quit many times and the power steering has quit a few times, I always try to use the brakes like I dont have power brakes, except for yesterday when a guy in a civic cut me off. He came around me on the right just to slam on the brakes and jerk in front of me in an attempt to get into the turn lane, that spun him to where I was headed at him t bone style. I locked up the brakes on the old ford, knew I was fixing to plow through that little ricer, then I saw a baby seat in the car. I ****** the pickup into the right lane in front of other traffic and went sideways into the intersection and slid into a parking lot. I set the e brake in the parking lot entrance and stepped out of the truck with full intentions of whooping the guys **** from one edge of the road to the other. I walked up and saw the baby screaming and crying and a cop with his lights on across the intersection and figured whooping the guys ass would do no good on his part and only send me to jail. I told the guy that if I had not ****** sideways that little girl would be dead instead of screaming and crying and the cop finally got there and wrote the guy for wreckless driving, speeding, unsafe lane change, child endangerment and a few other things.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was drivin a '85 F250 s/cab that I used to own and doin about 50 mph on a highway approaching a traffic light. The light suddenly went to red pretty quick n thats the time my master cylinder decided to quit on me. I hammered down as hard as I could on the pedal (thought I was gonna pull the column outa the firewall lol) n wasnt stopping fast enough. I decided at that point to see how stable it was in fast cornering so I managed to time it right with cross traffic, but turned right while layin rubber still doin about 35 mph. I got er stopped after that but sure got a wake up call about manual brakes!!

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I have had the power brakes quit many times and the power steering has quit a few times, I always try to use the brakes like I dont have power brakes, except for yesterday when a guy in a civic cut me off. He came around me on the right just to slam on the brakes and jerk in front of me in an attempt to get into the turn lane, that spun him to where I was headed at him t bone style. I locked up the brakes on the old ford, knew I was fixing to plow through that little ricer, then I saw a baby seat in the car. I ****** the pickup into the right lane in front of other traffic and went sideways into the intersection and slid into a parking lot. I set the e brake in the parking lot entrance and stepped out of the truck with full intentions of whooping the guys **** from one edge of the road to the other. I walked up and saw the baby screaming and crying and a cop with his lights on across the intersection and figured whooping the guys ass would do no good on his part and only send me to jail. I told the guy that if I had not ****** sideways that little girl would be dead instead of screaming and crying and the cop finally got there and wrote the guy for wreckless driving, speeding, unsafe lane change, child endangerment and a few other things.

Dang! Glad you avoided him Seth! He needs to go to a junkyard and look at some of those little cars that have been hit. Then he needs to imagine his little girl in those cars.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I had to stop my motorhome without power brakes or steering last summer...the engine died on the highway at 70. It's not fun, but you can do it.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Hand shakers make brake loss less scary. My 91 loves throwing belts. You learn to expect random booster loss

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Dang! Glad you avoided him Seth! He needs to go to a junkyard and look at some of those little cars that have been hit. Then he needs to imagine his little girl in those cars.

That aint no lie. Maybe he will after having to pay all the tickets the cop wrote him. I do know I for sure wanted to drag him out of that car but didnt want to go to jail

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Don't blame you for not wanting to go to jail, although I do understand the urge you were feeling! Driving back from hamilton on tuesday I had a van at a stop sign wait till I was almost too close to stop to pull out. Not near as close a call as yours but it still pissed me off.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
he knows how to drive without power brakes or steering. but when it happens in a split second its alot different. it might could of been avoided, but no body really knows how it went down except the driver

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think stuff like this should be mandatory when getting your licensce. Not saying go have fun in a parking lot but insurance places (icbc where i live) should have there own mini track wear they randomly rip the ebrake on the student and have a skid pad kinda thing thats is very slippery. Especially in places up north that have some pretty bad winters.

I feel the same for class one/big rig licenses, students should encounter brake fade atleast once in a controlled environment.....cause that **** is scary and thats how people die

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online