Riddle me this......(long and boring post!)

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we picked up the truck from the previous owner he mentioned as we were driving off that the front tank seemed to have junk in it and so he installed a filter assembly with removable cartridge in line before the transfer switch such that only the front tank was filtered this way. I had the tank removed to be cleaned and was told that it was filled with something like paint thinner that was real tar like. The tank was cleaned and reinstalled. Since we couldn't find any cartridges for the filter that was on the truck we installed an inline filter that I bought from the local parts house.

Everything worked fine on my trip from Dallas to Little Rock, I probaby ran 25 gallons of diesel through the front tank. We then started our trip to Ohio and used the rear tank first then switching to the front tank. When we stopped for the night in Missouri there was about 1/2 tank of fuel in the front tank and basically none in the rear.

The next morning the temps were around 22 degrees, the engine started on the second cycling of the glow plugs which needless to say made me very happy! However, once we hit the road the top speed was only about 55 mph. I couldn't get it to go any faster, the pedal was hitting the floorboard. I then noticed the fuel filter light on the dash was on so I figured the front tank was apparently not clean enough and it had plugged the filter. Since I couldn't switch to the rear tank because I hadn't filled the rear tank as yet I had to limp along to the next gas stop. Once I filled the rear tank I switched over to the rear tank hoping to find a parts house, no luck there so we headed on down the road again. This is when I noticed the fuel filter warning light was out and I could drive 65 mph again :confused:

I switched back to the rear tank and the warning light came on again and my speed dropped to a max of 55 mph. I finally decided to pull the inline filter off and just put a piece of hose in its place. The rear tank then performed flawlessly, no fuel filter warning light.

So the question is, what happened to the inline fuel filter I installed? I looked at the fluid that came out of the filter and what came out of the lines as I worked on it and it appeared nice and clean. Is diesel fuel to thick, etc for the inline filters to flow freely?

Any thoughts :confused:

Thanks,

Brad

pafixitman

Reaction score
May also have had a gelling problem. Are you using a fuel additive? If not, start. Give her a healthy dose the first time. Make sure the fuel filter is fresh and...always carry a spare (or two)!

Also, in case you did not know, it is common for the fuel pickups to break in the tank. Try to never run your tanks below a quarter.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You have an aditional filter on that line (for the front tank), so the low temperature added to the extra filter may have slow down the flow of fuel, wich explains wy it worked fine once you put a hose to it.

Do you have the lift pump feeding the ip or electric? That would also make a diference.

How many miles in the ff next to the engine?
and as Joe said, use stanadyne, power service additive in the fuel every fill up if possible.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Just as an fyi, the switch that causes your filter light to come on is a vacuum switch. So if the light comes on, this means the fuel is so starved that the IP is actually producing vacuum between itself and the lift pump. So you were looking at quite a restriction there.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
what kind of in-line filter did you use most common ones from the parts store are rated for gas and can be limited on the flow some have horse power max ratings due to how much fuel they can flow besides it sounds like your filter was doing what it supposed too trapping all the dirt in it

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. The truck has about 168,000 indicated miles. We've noticed that the odometer is off by 11% so who knows how many are really on the truck.

The inline filter that we installed was just a generic metal housing fuel filter. I know I didn't mention to the parts guy that it was for diesel.

Rob, you confirmed my suspisions that the warning light came on due to a high vacuum on the supply line caused by the inline filter.

Aric, with the tank having been freshly cleaned I don't think there was much if any dirt in it. If anything the continued usage of the front tank probably cleaned the tarry like substance out of the fuel line between the tank and the inline filter.

Any recommendations on how to splice the original line back together where the previous owner cut it to install the cartridge type filter? Right now I just have a 5/16" rubber line slipped over each end and clamped in place. I know thats not going to last.....LOL

Thanks,

Brad

82fordtruck

Reaction score
The best way is the get a flare tool, and make a new piece to fit in there, but I really don't think that line is that bad, especially since it's before the switching valve. If you ever had trouble, switch tanks and drive home.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
dsblack said:
Sounds like the inline was too fine to pass the fuel oil.

Yep, been there, done that, removed the gas:puke: filter, installed a small ball valve there to shut off fuel flow if/when I ever need to screw with the line in the future. I don't like diesel fuel running down my arms and all over the place.

Attachments

• ballvalvesm.jpg
    ballvalvesm.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 74

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flare?

82fordtruck said:
The best way is the get a flare tool, and make a new piece to fit in there, but I really don't think that line is that bad, especially since it's before the switching valve. If you ever had trouble, switch tanks and drive home.

Are you suggesting that the original factory plastic tubing be flared and then install a brass fitting to tie the two sections of tubing back together? The tubing is definitely tough but I didn't realize it could be flared. Or did I misunderstand your reference above? :confused:

Thanks,

Brad

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
ya, I don’t think you can flare the factory plastic. On mine I used a chunk of 3/8" ID fuel hose. This slides nice and tightly over the outer rubber jacket, I slid it over, clamped it down, and it’s been good to go for a long time.

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hose

F350camper said:
ya, I don’t think you can flare the factory plastic. On mine I used a chunk of 3/8" ID fuel hose. This slides nice and tightly over the outer rubber jacket, I slid it over, clamped it down, and it’s been good to go for a long time.

Currently I have a short piece of 5/16" hose shoved over the ends of the plastic tubing. Was tight fit and then I used hose clamps to finish it off. My only real concern was having the plastic hose colapse but it sounds like that may not be an issue considering your situation. Maybe I'll just not worry about it for a while LOL

Brad

ramon f350

Reaction score
the other thing you could do is find a brass splice fitting that you can slide into the hose and clamp on each side of the fitting.

Ramon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online