Return lines replaced.. still leaking (hoses wet)

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was able to source a return line kit for online for real cheap. I looked into which style I needed, and turns out my 89 has the older style kit (Barbs are centered on return line caps)

I installed my front tank the other day, while I was underneath I did a thorough check of all the lines running to and from the tanks, and all of them looked dry.. I also inspected the lines to and from the lift pump as well. Everything looks fine except the damp return lines on top of the engine.

The symptoms are pretty typical: Hard starts in the morning, I give it full throttle while cranking, and it'll fire up and stall immediately. It takes another GP cycling and more cranking to then make it start, which will then be very rough for a few seconds.

The motor is very strong on this truck. I could use a timing bump (its @ the factory mark) and doesnt even smoke even at Full throttle! I get about 17MPG hwy/city mixed. Not too bad for leaky lines and very retarded timing!
I've never had an issue starting warm/hot. It starts INSTANTLY if I leave it for less than an hour.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker