1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return line spring in fuel filter head. Is it needed and what does it do?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Golden Helmet, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Golden Helmet

Golden Helmet Full Access Member

PRAISE Jesus / Allah / Moses / whatever deity you believe in, I got the stubborn bastard on!!! I just got off work and figured I'd just take a real fast crack at it, and whadaya know, it went on this time with almost no effort. I don't know why, but I won't complain :D

I did hit this olive with the drill, but only just a tiny bit, I started and then quickly decided it was a stupid idea. So hopefully the bastard won't leak.

Next issue is the return line from the filter to the injector. The clear line Calvin installed has gotten extremely hard and won't stretch one bit. I'm gonna have to get some fresh hose.

After that, I should be home free :D

Thewespaul likes this.
  2. Golden Helmet

Golden Helmet Full Access Member

Just updating because I don't want to leave this thread hanging. Everything's back together now and seems to be working flawlessly. No leaks that I can see, I'll know for sure by the end of this week if the air intrusion is truly gone, but so far the signs are good. I've got the IP soaking in ATF now, just to help keep it clean. This is the first time I've changed the fuel filter since I bought the truck, so it was long overdue.

Thank you guys so much for the help and suggestions. And an extra thanks to Wes for modding that fuel filter head for me, I really appreciate you doing that and I look forward to doing more business with you in the future :D

Thewespaul likes this.
  3. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

Thank you sir!

4. icanfixall

icanfixall Official GMM hand model

The fuel filter supply line from the mechanical lift pump is 3/8 olive. The discharge from filter to injection pump is 5/16 line and olives. Conestoga Diesel and Oregon fuel injection sell these check valves. There is two different sizes. Small is the one for the return lines with the green clamps. The red clamps is the large line and fitting. DO NOT MIX N MATCH these different lines or fittings.